New Pickups

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have an Ibanez GAX30, pretty much bottom of the line. It plays great, is really resonant, looks ok, but the electronics suck (stock humbuckers). When I plug it in, the neck pickup is muddy and the bridge just sounds horrible. They both lack presence and punch. I'm in the market for a strat, but I figure I'll want some good humbucking sounds as well. So, what humbuckers do you all recommend? I listen to classic rock and Pearl Jam. Go at it!
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    I have an Ibanez GAX30, pretty much bottom of the line. It plays great, is really resonant, looks ok, but the electronics suck (stock humbuckers). When I plug it in, the neck pickup is muddy and the bridge just sounds horrible. They both lack presence and punch. I'm in the market for a strat, but I figure I'll want some good humbucking sounds as well. So, what humbuckers do you all recommend? I listen to classic rock and Pearl Jam. Go at it!
    gibson 57 classics, or seymour duncan jb-4 buckers. both great pickups look them up at musiciansfriend.com
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Resounding 2nd on the 57's.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    considering the guitar and what I think you want.

I suggest looking into the Lindy Fralin Unbuckers. (and humbuckers)

this should help your search.

http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/pickup.htm

also the seymour duncan 59's
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.