Changing strings (Help!)

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So right now I'm pissed. I'm changing strings (electric) for the second time on my own now, and I'm having the same issues I had last time. Last time it worked, but it was a pain in the ass and I know I did it wrong because the strings only ended up being wrapped around twice and they weren't tight around the capstan. Somehow that worked, but I want to do it right. All the online tutorials/videos I've looked at SUCK.

The part about putting it through the bridge is obvious, but on the headstock end, do I put the string through the hole first or do I wrap it around first? Tell me that, then help me from there. Please!!
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Hey arman,
    Put it through the hole first, but leave a fair bit of slack. The heavier strings take up quicker, so you need to be loose enough to pull the string up about 6-8". It sounds like you are not leaving enough slack at the moment.
    I usually bend the string just as is goes through the hole, so I can put some tension on it. Start winding. Fender make a good peg winder, so do Planet Waves. Get the first wrap to throw over the top of teh string as it comes through the hole in the peg, then get all the rest to go under. The under/over locks the string and eliminated string slippage.
    You don't have to be tidy, but tuning is more reliable if all the wraps sits neatly under each other, plus I just like tidy.
    As you go up the strings, it gets a bit trickier to keep the wraps neat, cos the strings get a bit springy and harder to hold, but you will get the hang quick enough.
    Let me know if that is not clear enough.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Could you be a bit clearer please? Got my E-string done but it's completely mangled, my A string is mangled now too, I've tried it about five times and I just have a bunch of kinks in the new string.
  • I think I was taught differently. I wrap mine three times, then I stick it through the hole, and then I start to twist the peg. I don't know why this is but I'm gonna try Lucy's idea-it makes a lot more sense I guess. I have a question that deals with string changing though-how do I do the Mustangs strings??
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    OK, I'll try. Thread the bridge, then thread through the tuning peg, wind a few times to get the hole sitting at right angles to teh travel of the string. Leave plenty of string slack between the peg and the bridge.
    Start winding again, as the peg turns you will need to start putting some tension on teh string to stop it slipping back through, so grasp the string midway along, and pull gently away from the peg. I usually bend the string uo vertical to the peg, stops slipping, and gets the end out if the way.
    As the peg turns, the first wrap wil form. Make this go over the top of the string that is passing through the peg. As you keep winding, and the next wrap forms, make it pass under the wraps already there. This will lock the string. You need to keep tension on the string all teh time as you do this. Yes, it is a bit of a juggling act.
    I'm not sure if I can give a better description than that. It's really a matter of practice. Keep playing with the E string until you get it right, take it on and off a few times to practice the movements. It is the least likely to break if you put a few kinks in it.
    It can be useful to put your guitar in a stand while you wind, to free up your hands a bit.
    Cheers
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I still don't quite get it, but I tried xtremehardy's technique and it worked fine. Thanks anyway man.
  • Actually didn't end up working, and all but two strings are completely fucked. So I lost about $6 and my sanity for tonight. Looks like I'm going to a guitar tech.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I do it lucy's way, kind of. It was a pain the first couple times I did it but it works. The idea is that if you angle the hole at about 45 degrees from the nut, you put the string through the hole, then turn a little bit until the hole is parallel to the nut. THEN you can make a bend (kink) in the string as it's somewhat taut with the neck. Then I put the excess string through the hole again, but put it -under- (this is important) the first wrapping so that the string rubs on itself, producing friction and better hold. I do that 2 or 3 times, then cut the excess. From there just wind up the tuner and viola, string complete. Just note that no matter how you string your guitar or what strings you use, you'll probably get some slipping/falling out of tune for the first few times you tune it, till the string stretches to its ideal tension. This might be reduced with locking tuners, I don't know, never tried 'em.

PS: Elixir strings are a bitch to put on because they're kind of slippery!
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I pull mine all the way through, and then grab it at the post and pull it back to about midway at the first fret or to the second, depending, put a kink in it at the tuning post and start winding, keeping the string as tight as possible so it winds down the post.

Don't worry man, the first time I tried to do it, it took about an hour and a half and I was pissed. You get the hang of it over time.
  • THe first time I did it, I wentr trhough two packs of strings becasue I twisted too tight.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • This has always been a challenge, explaining how to string a guitar with no pictures.

If you have a Strat, or straight line set of tuners try this:

If you're right handed, lay the guitar with the body to the right and head to the left.

Make the hole in the tuner post parallel to the neck

Thread the string through the hole and pull it so there's no slack. Make sure the ball end of the string is set down at the other end.

Hold the string end with your thumb and index finger at two and a half tuner posts down from the tuner (About 2 1/2 inches) and pull the main part of the string with your right hand, until your left finger and thumb are against the tuner and hold it there.

With your right hand, pull on the string on the other side of the post to keep it tight, then with your left hand pinched fingers, make a 90 crimp against the post.

With your right hand, make a CLOCKWISE wrap OVER the post and hole and crimped string. Pull tight. The string will be crimped on each side of the post.

(If you have three tuners on each side, the low E, A and D are clockwise, and the G,B High E are counterclockwise.)

Right hand, keep holding tight while you start winding the post and direct the string so it winds UNDER the hole in the post. Keep the main string somewhat tight while you wind the tuner. Hold the middle with your fingers spread out so you don't crimp the center of the string. This keeps it tight on the post while your winding, which is the most important.

When it's done you should have about 3 or 3 1/2 wraps around the post. One wrap on top of the hole and two or three under nice and clean looking. When you have it wrapped like that, there's no slack to loosen. Also, the string leaving the bottom of the post like that has a downward pull that hols it against the nut and gives you some more tone.

Ha! If I write that again it'll be completely different!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart