Timewasting musicians?

MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Im sure im not the only one to have come across this.As a guitarist for 19 years i have always put music first,i would sell my soul to the devil if he'd take it!:)My question is:How many of you have been in a band with a weak link or other musicians who are talented but never want to go the whole way?I've come across this my whole music "career".I now understand when bands say in the press that they have that certain chemistry,jeez i am SO jealous of that.Ive played some great venues over the last 19 years but my problem has always been finding musicians on the same level that would give their left nut to make it in a band.Im 30 now and have 2 kids but part of me still wants to "make it" but i now have commitments so my time has passed.I just KNOW that i can give ANY young hotshot a run for his money and ultimately i am left angry and frustrated at the music scene in the UK and the musicians in general.The reason i started a Pearl Jam tribute in the UK was that i totally love all the grunge era:PJ,AIC,Soundgarden etc and the fact that the media all but ignores these bands in this country AND the fact that PJ hardly ever plays over here!You can diss me all you want for not writing my own material(been there done that got nowhere because of wankers that wouldnt commit) but the fact is you get older and your commitments change and if i only get to play PJ songs all over the UK then so be it!The fact is i still love music!!!!!!You'll find me when im 60 playing in some dirty old blues band.Long live the Vedder and the boys-the only GREAT grunge band left from the 90's.Cant wait for the new album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cornell pwns u
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• All through highschool I looked for musicians willing to give one of their balls for it. The closest I ever came was my last band: everyone was really talented and our age range was 15-25. Our drummer, just a 15 year old kid, wanted to do nothing but music. All of his life, he did nothing but drum. I was the 2nd oldest at 18 (I'm almost 20 now) and the singer was 25. We wrote a little material, but half of us moved away for school. I'm still looking for a combo like I had in highschool, but for now I've found a group of people to jam with until then. I've made that very clear to them already. If I can somehow make a career out of music, I will do it. Money doesn't matter. As long as I can pay the rent, eat AND are HAPPY doing it, then I will.

Kinda an idealist setiment don't you think?

:)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the biggest problem i had with people was trying to firm up a dependable schedule.

it was hard enough getting these losers in the same place at the same time twice a week to rehearse let alone get to other commitment issues.

i was too busy to deal with that crap so my band experiences were limited and bad.

too bad too because the energy to create on my own is pretty much dead. it's over for me.

and i only started playing 10 years ago at age 20. i wish i'd started earlier and had the whole high school garage band experience.
  • I still have both of my nuts and I most definitly plan on keeping it that way, thank you very much.
  • I consider myself very lucky. The drummer and I are best friends and we've been playing together since we were 11. I'm 19 now. The bass player we've known since high school. We're all just the very best friends and are always on the same page musically. In high school I considered going to a music school for jazz but I learned that I wouldn't find anybody I click with nearly as much as them. It's damn hard to find other people to play with. I haven't found anybody who is as talented and cool as my two bandmates.