trouble getting WAH right on Blood Lead

PappasPappas Posts: 809
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys

Im having some trouble getting the wahh sounding right when playing the lead to Blood. Now its not an overly complicated lead, and the part im having trouble with is the part where mike plays around the 8th fret B string and 7th fret G string, then palm mutes both strings a few times then plays 5 fret same strings a few times, then more palm mute then 7th and 8th fret again. its done a few times in the song. anyone familiar with when to put the wah down/up in this? i just can't seem to get it to sound right in the part where both strings are fretted at 5th fret.

cheers

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pappas wrote:
    hey guys

Im having some trouble getting the wahh sounding right when playing the lead to Blood. Now its not an overly complicated lead, and the part im having trouble with is the part where mike plays around the 8th fret B string and 7th fret G string, then palm mutes both strings a few times then plays 5 fret same strings a few times, then more palm mute then 7th and 8th fret again. its done a few times in the song. anyone familiar with when to put the wah down/up in this? i just can't seem to get it to sound right in the part where both strings are fretted at 5th fret.

cheers
    i don't know if this effects the sound but it sounds like there's a phase 90 in there, too...like, while the wah is in use.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    Knowing Mike there is tons of Phase in there.

The part you're asking about just sounds like timing. You'll get it

Personally I wouldn’t waste my time trying to recreate Mikes tone for that. Could be a million things for that. Are you basing it on the studio version of live version? Almost impossible to match studio tones. You don’t know what guitar, amp, pick ups, mics, etc are used. Then they have to mix AND master the song. I bet Mike couldn’t reproduce the studio version.

But live just work on your own tone with a wah and phase. Id think what you don’t play is just as important as what you play.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    cheers guys, yeah its just a matter of practise. ive got it sounding pretty good now (trying to get how it sounds live not studio). great song to play lead on when in an angry mood!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99