kenny wayne shepherd - While We Cry

outontheporchoutontheporch Posts: 172
edited August 2008 in The Porch
Yeah sorry if this has been talked about before. I've never seen a thread about it...but, this shepherd has an album out called Ledbetter Hights, that has a song on it called While We Cry, same exact chords as YLB...even the opening riff is pretty much the same.

Now I know you guys probably already know this, and I realize the chords aren't exactly groundbreakingly original...but I was just curious why I haven't heard this before. Cheers!
"I forgot the F***ing song."
- Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That is pretty blatant if you ask me. Sounds more like the live version as opposed to the studio version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If955Enc3k0

And he also has a song called Alive hmmmm.
    NERDS!
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

• mike didn't invent those chords and wasn't the first to put them together. check out 'little wing' by hendrix. they're just copying one another on down the line. sincerest form of flattery.....
    yes, 'while we cry' sounds a hell lot like 'ledbetter' and 'little wing.' just my two cents.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brainofjbbrainofjb Posts: 381
    mike didn't invent those chords and wasn't the first to put them together. check out 'little wing' by hendrix. they're just copying one another on down the line. sincerest form of flattery.....
    yes, 'while we cry' sounds a hell lot like 'ledbetter' and 'little wing.' just my two cents.

true but using such a similar name is taken it a little to far
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • There is another thread on this. They both are paying tributes (musically) to Hendrix. Lyrics are a different story as Shepherd's album is about Leadbelly's stomping grounds - Yellow Ledbetter, apparently, is for Tim Ledbetter, Ed's friend. Odd.

Edit: Here you go from the wiki site -

"Shepherd named his debut album after this neighborhood as an homage to the blues tradition of his home town." Key words here are "blues tradition" as both songs (& Shepherd's entire album) come from the same tradition ("Little Wing" & "May This Be Love").
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    This song came up on my girlfirend's Pandora Friday night, and the first thing I thought of was Yellow Ledbetter. Pretty cool song.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • LukinFan said:

This song came up on my girlfirend's Pandora Friday night, and the first thing I thought of was Yellow Ledbetter. Pretty cool song.

I've seen him 3x - including early on when he was 15. Dude can flat out play.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,962

LukinFan said:

seen him 5x, I think. don't be hating on KWS :nuh_uh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ffndDj2Ipw
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192
    edited December 2016
    Wobbie said:

LukinFan said:

Wob, KWS sucks, man. soul-less masturbation on guitar. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Wobbie said:

LukinFan said:

No hate here. Had a beer with him at the bar after a show at The Blue Note here in Columbia. Back in 2000 or early 2001 if memory serves. Nice dude to talk guitar and music with. I've got photos (physical) somewhere of that night.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    I am a KWS fan but, seriously that is total theft
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    pljam said:

I am a KWS fan but, seriously that is total theft

Yep

Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited January 2017
    I feel like there is another SRV song not Little Wing that is almost identical as well. Can't recall the name, it is on GH 2 I think. I used to teach a bunch of kids named Ledbetter, always blasted the song for them
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Blatant theft... that's not similar, or paying homage, that's just stealing lol
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,387
    my2hands said:

Blatant theft... that's not similar, or paying homage, that's just stealing lol

Gotta agree with you. Just listened to the entire song, it's a bit TOO similar. Yes McCready didn't invent those chords, but listen to the arrangement. 40 secs in, and again at 3:33.. that solo. He could have gone so many directions with it, but yet it's basically the same as Mike's. The guitar tone. Listen to how the song ends. And what are the odds that the word "Ledbetter" just HAPPENS to be on the album?? C'mon man!
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Yellow.led is clearly a combo of.Hendrix "Little" wing and SRV "Lenny". So if KWS is ripping PJ off, PJ ripped them off
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,453
    He barely changed it. Ridiculous
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016