Newbie Guitar questions

PappasPappas Posts: 809
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys I am going to be teaching myself guitar, and am going to buy my first guitar soon, nothing too flash just a decent second hand one off the net or from a store, with a decent amp. what type (eg fender/gibson/ibanez/strat etc) would you recommend for learning, and eventually being able to play tabs of some pearl jam songs and sounding decent. any other tips or things I should know?

what do you's think of these for a beginner?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7330037118&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7329758777&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7329758744&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7330268511&rd=1

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• doesnt matter what you get to learn on... i wouldnt spend a lot of money yet though.. buy something cheap and when you catch on and are sure you will follow through go shopping for personal taste and everything :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    ok, i was thinking along the lines of something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7330277652&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

full size electric guitar with 20 w amp (i know it sucks but its ddamn cheap)
    6 Steel strings
    High Quality Wooden Built
    Full size electric guitar
    3 single coils
    Vibrato S-Style
    Volume and Tone Controls
    Guitar to Amp Lead included!
    guitar stand and cas included

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • SeraphimSeraphim Posts: 6
    well i dont agree with that completely, it's more the question how much money do you wanna spend, cuz if you buy a fender USA or a gibson, you will get a fantastic sound and if you deside you don't like it anymore you can easily sell it for about the same money you bought it. and my experience is that if you begin to play on a desend guitar, u will get more motivated than playing on a cheap one. but if you dont wanna spend a lot of bucks on your first guitar, and i think thats the case here, than i would look for an ibanez (-grx 40- that was my first guitar and its a lot better than a squier stratocaster) or a washburn. and if you go 2nd hand, i would look for a epiphone or a mexican fender.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i would recommend starting off with an acoustic guitar, learn the basics before you start worrying about any kind of amps or hi tech shit......after a year or two of practice then i would get an electric
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i would recommend starting off with an acoustic guitar, learn the basics before you start worrying about any kind of amps or hi tech shit......after a year or two of practice then i would get an electric

but i can't play songs i like such as rearviewmirror on an acoustic :)

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Pappas wrote:
    but i can't play songs i like such as rearviewmirror on an acoustic :)

Of course you can, stop lying. Nothing's more awesome then someone playing an electric song on acoustic. Plus, you should focus on your playing and not on electronics and tone and effects.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • First+++++++Always buy an acoustic first....you can learn any electric song on Acoustic..minus feedback and whammy shit...but you should go to a big guitar store..and buy a 100$ Acoustic ...Jumbo size..or get a 100$ used acoustic from one of those guitar center samash stores.
    Most electric songs are written on an acoustic anyway...if it works and sounds riffy on an acoustic.....its gonna rock on an electric.
    Lessons....just learn all the open chords..than the bar chords....then the notes and pentatonics.......
    hmm yeh was thinking if i can get the guitar/amp thing cheap might get both electric and acoustic, and start learning on acoustic an muck around when i feel like it on electric.

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    get the best you can afford.

it's frustrating enough getting the fingers to do what you want them to when first learning,one doesnt need to be fighting an instrument that doesnt set up properly when in this stage.
  • RVM2003MFCRVM2003MFC Posts: 75
    Buy a Squire Pack or an Eppiphone pack to start of.
    Look like strat/gibson but at a lower cost.
    - "I mean Good Charlotte are good. They just sound like someone shoved a popsical up someones ass!" Ed.

"I am ahead, I am advanced, I am the first man to borrow Stones leather pants."

Stone Gossard: Is the height of fashion. More poeple should take note, and learn from a master
  • teaching yourself to play guitar is quite a slow process (I know I've been doing it for 7 years). Might I suggest getting some introductary lessons to the guitar just to get the theory correct.
    "This is a public service annowncement... with guitars!!"
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Starting on a an acoustic is the best way to learn... Besides, if you can make an electric song sound good on an acoustic, imagine how good it will sound on an electric when it is time to switch over. Honestly, the form and the "foundation" is the most important...and once you nail that you're golden. People often try to focus too much on sound rather than the "foundation" (their playing)
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    i started on an acoustic and when i later picked up my first electic i was freakin' amazed how good and fast i could play. the acoustic is probably "harder" to learn on because the strings will tear up your fingers (larger strings with greater distance to the board) but i think it pays off in the long run. many people i have talked to say it's harder to go from electric to acoustic than it is from acoustic to electric and i would have to agree based on my experience.
  • desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 143
    mca47 wrote:
    i started on an acoustic and when i later picked up my first electic i was freakin' amazed how good and fast i could play. the acoustic is probably "harder" to learn on because the strings will tear up your fingers (larger strings with greater distance to the board) but i think it pays off in the long run. many people i have talked to say it's harder to go from electric to acoustic than it is from acoustic to electric and i would have to agree based on my experience.

I personally second all comments about going acoustic first. I learned Do the Evolution a few months ago and I love playing it on an acoustic. If you don't think rocking ass electric songs can be played intensely on an acoustic look no further than Foo Fighters' Everlong Acoustic version.

However, you have to be aware of what you really care about. If it's not fun you won't wzant to keep up on it, so if you're that set on the sounds of an electric, do what you want.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    with an acoustic there is no BS, it is the real deal.......your focus will be on learning to PLAY GUITAR.....thats what you want to do, right? it is easy to get discouraged when you start, if it sounds like shit you think it is the guitar's fault (not your own lack of experience)......if you start on electric you have to worry about adjusting bass, treble, distortion, etc, and if you don't do it well it will REALLY sound like shit and get you discouraged.......plus buying gear gets addicting- first you want a distortion pedal, then a wah, then you need delay, then phase- but then you are fucking around with effects and not learning to PLAY GUITAR.....thats what you want to do, right?
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • RVM86RVM86 Posts: 76
    I'm teaching myself how to play on a borrowed acoustic right now, but I'm just like you, I want an electric. Everyone I've talked to has said to start on an acoustic. I am going to get my own acoustic off of Musician's Friend. I found an Ibanez Jam Pack for $99.99. It has everything you need to start. It might be something to look in to. Hope this helps!!!
    War In Iraq? Do It In My Name.
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Honestly i dont think it matters whether you go acoustic or electric..
    Get your mechanics down properly. id take at least a few weeks lessons.

It would be more practical for you to get a cheap ass amp / electric..so you can go clean or distorted/overdriven whatever.

Just get some finger weights or hand thing to help build strength that the acoustic would give ya.

my 2 cents
    (been playing 10 years)
    No one is Righteous.......
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    I have an Sg, an Ibanez, and I've owned a Strat. Out of everything, my Ibanez has been my best guitar by far so far. I got it used for about $700 and I've never had a problem with it, and it has an amazing sound. But then again, I could have just lucked out.
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
    hmm yeah acoustic seems to be the way to go then. considering the lessons thing as well (if i have time), maytbe for just a couple months or so once a week as you guys said to get the basics right.

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    There are two distinct advantages to learning on an acoustic:

1) You can't hide and you can't cheat. What you hear is what you play, and what you play is what you hear.

2) Acoustics will condition your fingers better.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.