Need help with Alive riff

PappasPappas Posts: 809
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys i am a beginner guitarist and need some help. i have been trying to get the alive riff but am having some trouble. i can do the bit on the third string from top with the 0h7h7 7vvv an then the four quick chord followed by the 0h7h9 7 9b10r9 7. only part i cant do is the bit right at the beginning of the riff, the one with the slide bit. here is the tab but i do not understand how to do it. particularly wiht the second from top string. it says i have to slide from 10 to 0? an then slide back to 7? how do you slide from an open note? what fingers do i use for what? if i can just get the chord followed by the slide properly, i can get the whole riff goin easily which is pretty good since ive only been playing guitar for a couple of weeks. thanks guys

-|
|
|
|
-|
|
|
|
-|
0-|-2
2-2-2-|-2
0-|
-|
0---|-2----0h7h9---7vvvv 2-2-2-|-2----0h7h9--7-9b10r9-7-0-|
-|-10\
|-0-/7
0-0-0-|-0-/7
|
-|
|
|
|

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    way i play it is fret the chord with you index and middle finger then go to the 3rd fret and slide from there with your ring finger to the 7

or fret the chord with your middle and ring finger then slide to the 7 with your index finger
    No one is Righteous.......
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    DieasGrey wrote:
    way i play it is fret the chord with you index and middle finger then go to the 3rd fret and slide from there with your ring finger to the 7

or fret the chord with your middle and ring finger then slide to the 7 with your index finger
    yeah but on the chord the second from top string (the one you do the slide on), is played open. so do you fret the chord, an while the open note is being played, you place your finger on the string and slide to 7? doesnt than stop the not being played on that string? if the chord was say fret the 2nd fret of all 3 strings then you could fret, and slide the finger from the 2nd fret to the 7th, but the tab says it is an open string and i do not understand how an where and when i am supposed to perform the slide

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • or for those who don't want to overcomplicate everything just grab a random note around there and slide down a bit and release the string.

could look something like this: a- 12\6 p 0 before the riff starts and it sounds the same.

its just a noise, not a written part.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Ha! First riff I learned to play... the memories

The first part (slide down from 10) doesn't matter, it's only on the record. I never play it.

second part: you play the A5-chord (022, I do it with one flat finger) and then just hit the open string for the slide anywhere that's comfortable to make it sound okay. Since you're doing the A-chord, it'll probably be around fret 1, 2 or 3.

I do the A5 with my middle finger and use my index finger to hit and slide the open string. I'm guessing I'm sliding up from fret 1 or 2. For me that's the easiest and most comfortable way of playing it smooth and fast.

But like the Toaster said: don't overcomplicate things :)
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    cheers guys im gonna try it tonight, hopefully will get it, this is my fav PJ riff i love it to death

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Pappas wrote:
    yeah but on the chord the second from top string (the one you do the slide on), is played open. so do you fret the chord, an while the open note is being played, you place your finger on the string and slide to 7? doesnt than stop the not being played on that string? if the chord was say fret the 2nd fret of all 3 strings then you could fret, and slide the finger from the 2nd fret to the 7th, but the tab says it is an open string and i do not understand how an where and when i am supposed to perform the slide

Just play the first chord then fret on 3 on the A string and slide from there to the 7.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • ved_zepved_zep Posts: 50
    dont over complicate it,
    follow what the guys above said and just do what you think sounds right...
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    0-|-2
    2-2-2-|-2
    0-|