New Pearl Jam Guitar Solo Competition - Black

PappasPappas Posts: 809
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
what happened to the old one?
nobody seemed to make that backing track for people to work with to submit their solo

now Im just a beginner and I'd prob come near the bottom, but i would love to hear what you guys can do

And i thought why not get everyone to do a solo to Black, as im sure we have all done it before many a time, and allows both experienced and newbie guitarists to express themselves nicely.

All we need is someone to record a backing track of a certain lenth playing the outro chords, then we solo over that

what do you guys think?

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm down :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Sounds sweet. Won't be hearing anything from me though...don't have the equipment. Plus I suck.
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    I should be able to throw down a backing sometime this week or weekend.
    Just have to sift through my drum loops to see if something fits.

This is generally what my backings sound like. Let me know if it's good enough for you fellas...

This one is kinda half ass as I threw it down before I really learned the song.

http://webpages.charter.net/j.d./Jams/Fuckin_Up.mp3
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    That Fuckin Up sounds really good. I'll join in, but I don't have the first clue on how I would get my clip back onto the computer, or even record it. I'm guessing since I don't have an idea on how to, I probably won't be able to, huh?
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    J.D. wrote:
    I should be able to throw down a backing sometime this week or weekend.
    Just have to sift through my drum loops to see if something fits.

This is generally what my backings sound like. Let me know if it's good enough for you fellas...

This one is kinda half ass as I threw it down before I really learned the song.

http://webpages.charter.net/j.d./Jams/Fuckin_Up.mp3
    that sounds great, if you could do a backing track when you get time that would be awesome mate

www.myspace.com/pappas99
    Well here's a shot at it. Kinda cheese cause I only got one pass at each track and really didn't go nuts with the drums.

It should do fine for just being a backing and all. It's about 3 minutes long with some 'changes' at the end.

Let me know if this will do. I can't wait to hear some of you guys throw down on this.

http://webpages.charter.net/j.d./Jams/Black_Outro2.mp3
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    sounds great mate, i rekon its perfect

ok so whos in then?

Thumbing My Way
    JD
    Pappas

who else?

we'l wait a week or so before starting, and then give a couple of weeks to get submissions in

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    bro that is really good man
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Here's a quick take I just did during my lunch break. I know I can do a way better one, so I'll do it again later. Just thought I'd throw this out there to give people some ideas:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=4303920&q=hi
  • Here's a quick take I just did during my lunch break. I know I can do a way better one, so I'll do it again later. Just thought I'd throw this out there to give people some ideas:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=4303920&q=hi

I can't find it Matt??

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • I can't find it Matt??

Son of Bitch! One of these days I'm going to just ditch that whole Soundclick crappola :mad:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=384768

First one.
  • Son of Bitch! One of these days I'm going to just ditch that whole Soundclick crappola :mad:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=384768

First one.

Awesome, got it!!

I always like listening to your other stuff too :):)

Impressive as always :D

.NJD.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I'd join in, but I dont have equipment to record with. BTW, awesome job Dirty Frank. [Matt] You've probably said before, and I just don't feel like searching, but what gear do you most often use/what did you for this back track?
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • gobrowns19 wrote:
    I'd join in, but I dont have equipment to record with. BTW, awesome job Dirty Frank. [Matt] You've probably said before, and I just don't feel like searching, but what gear do you most often use/what did you for this back track?

I'm guessing he was using his MIJ Strat ---> Boss SD-1 ---> MXR Distorition ---> Traynor YCV80 Clean :)

Just a guess though

.NJD.
  • gobrowns19 wrote:

Thanks.

TMW was close...

It's a '57 RI strat, Fulldrive II and Traynor YCV80 clean channel.
  • Thanks.

TMW was close...

It's a '57 RI strat, Fulldrive II and Traynor YCV80 clean channel.

Damn.

How's the Fulldrive II ?

.NJD.
  • Damn.

How's the Fulldrive II ?

Just simply amazing. It can do anything I need.
  • TURN THE DRUMS DOWN!

haha, im in for this...any chance the drum level can come down? the rest is good.

i may go original and go acoustic....

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • by the way, matt has fuckin wicked mccready/hendrix trills i love it, i cant hit them very well...the quadruplets, its what makes the alive solo what it is....

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    Good call Harrison, the drums were hot.

Here's a remix.

http://webpages.charter.net/j.d./Jams/Black_Outro2.mp3
    Hey Dirty Frank, I just listened to your take because I didn't want to cop any ideas. Classic Strat tone and great playing. Loved the Pup switch at 1:38. 1:54 to 2:03 stood out for me. Cool!

I wish I could have used my normal rig for this but, whatever. Here's my first stab at it, please excuse the warts and clams.

http://webpages.charter.net/j.d./Jams/Black_Outro_JD.mp3
  • J.D. wrote:
    Hey Dirty Frank, I just listened to your take because I didn't want to cop any ideas. Classic Strat tone and great playing. Loved the Pup switch at 1:38. 1:54 to 2:03 stood out for me. Cool!

I wish I could have used my normal rig for this but, whatever. Here's my first stab at it, please excuse the warts and clams.

http://webpages.charter.net/j.d./Jams/Black_Outro_JD.mp3

Yours owns pretty hard man. Nice work. I really like it.
  • If I had recording software I would do it!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • If I had recording software I would do it!!

I need to pick up a SM57 and a interface one of these days, so I can actually do one that doesn't sound like ass.
    I need to pick up a SM57 and a interface one of these days, so I can actually do one that doesn't sound like ass.

No kidding, I'm sick of using modelers and software instead of my amp and pedals.
  • J.D. wrote:
    No kidding, I'm sick of using modelers and software instead of my amp and pedals.

I'm just using the built in condensor on my iBook.

:eek:
    I'm just using the built in condensor on my iBook.

:eek:

Holy shit, I would never have guessed. It still sounds pretty damn good considering.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Id love to throw down, but Im lacking the equipment to do so...
  • I remember a couple of years ago i had an mp3 of 'E Ballad' (Black Instrumental). Anybody got this?? this would be a great help as i lost my copy.
  • I was just messing around with it and my stuff isn't as good as some stuff I've heard on this thread but I love changing the ending to different octaves (B, C, D...dododo do dododooo).

I usually play the regular sound of it starting at the 12th fret on the B string. But I like mixing it up in the middle of the solo...try to find every B on the fretboard and do it in the middle of the solo, it's quite nice. My favorite way to end it is going to the 17th fret on the high e. :)

my 2 cents
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore