First bar of alive solo?

PappasPappas Posts: 809
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys, ive noticed that the tab for alive on http://www.giventowail, the first bar is incorrect. it is missing a few notes. ive tried to figure out what the missing notes are but cant. if i follow the tab it doenst sound the same. these guys on youtube can sucessfully do it, as you can see they hit a few more notes. can anyone shed some light on this, my eyes and ears arent good enough to be able to fully tell....
it all sounds fine when you bend b string hit 12th fret bend g string hit 12th fret but from there im not sure.

code: -|
|
-|-15b17r15-12
|
-|
14b16r14-12
12----12-12-14p12----12-|
-|
14----|
-|
|
-|
|

anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vROSRCOWAPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z9z6JEige8

cheers

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    The best advice i can give u. Use the notes given and make it sound like the solo. Don't focus on the exact tab and what i tells u to do. Do you know the E minor scale, G form at the 12th fret? That should help.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    The best advice i can give u. Use the notes given and make it sound like the solo. Don't focus on the exact tab and what i tells u to do. Do you know the E minor scale, G form at the 12th fret? That should help.
    yes i know the scale, and know all the box positions assosciated with it, including the ones up by the beginning of the neck (frets 2-7) but thats not the point. this has been bugging me for a while, i want to get it sounding exactly like the proper solo, and i cant seem to figure it out, yet it seems heaps of ppl around the world have, as you can see on the youtube videos

i know how important improv is and i use it all the time, but sometimes i try to get things sounding exactly like mike, as it teaches me things about how he plays, licks he uses etc which i then incorporate into my improv stuff

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Pappas wrote:
    yes i know the scale, and know all the box positions assosciated with it, including the ones up by the beginning of the neck (frets 2-7) but thats not the point. this has been bugging me for a while, i want to get it sounding exactly like the proper solo, and i cant seem to figure it out, yet it seems heaps of ppl around the world have, as you can see on the youtube videos

i know how important improv is and i use it all the time, but sometimes i try to get things sounding exactly like mike, as it teaches me things about how he plays, licks he uses etc which i then incorporate into my improv stuff

Alright I fiddled around with my guitar a bit and I've come up with a few things. That bar of the tab is 100% correct, but the same thing that threw me off (i realized i never played it exactly the same) has gotta be the same thing that is throwing you off.

e
    B--15b17r15-12
    G
    14b16r14
    D
    14----

Play those slower, one at a time, and make them sound the same as far as timing. The first four notes should be played the same way as the last 4. Then speed it up until it sounds like the solo. If that absolutely doesn't work, this is how I used to play it until about 20 minutes ago. It sounds almost perfect, but if conquering the original lick is a personal goal of yours, it won't help. Just watch the video and scrutinize every bit of what their doing. It'll happen.

e
    B--15b17r15-12
    G
    14-12---
    D
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...