Novice seeking guitar buying advice

rexdoggarexdogga Posts: 49
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK. Budget = $600
Been tinkering for 1 year. Lessons for the past 4 months.
Soon after beginning the lessons I figured out that my $189 made in China P.O.S. Hamer wasn't going to cut it. I enjoy playing scales (which i hope will someday turn into licks) and I don't mind an occasional chord or two. I don't have large hands and some stretches are difficult for me.

I would appreciate any input you all have.
Also, could someone explain what difference fret size makes.

Thanks for the help, Rex
I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing.

EF-PSYCHO-03!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BeavBeav Posts: 223
    My first "quality" ax was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It's just within your price range and I love it. Still gets played regularly. I put a Gibson '57 classic humbucker in the bridge position and it sounds even better. It's all a matter of what kind of sound you like. Good luck!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yep, $600 is more than enough for most Epiphones (Les Pauls or SGs) and Mexican Fenders. Just try out everything you see, and buy what you like most!

[EDIT] Unless you're talking about acoustic guitars, which I really can't give advice for because my only acoustic is a $250 Yamaha. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    bigger frets help you bend notes easier. Smaller frets are easier to chord I'd guess.

Find a shape color and tone that you love and that feels good. The rest will follow.

Lots of good quality guitars under 6 bills.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    What type of music you like will also factor into it.

If you like blues or jazz, try out the Fender Strat for sure.
    Country (? haha) try a Fender Telecaster.
    Metal, try a Schecter (high quality).
    General rock some kind of Epiphone Les Paul should do it.

I think the most important thing is how comfortable it is to you personally. I tried an Epi LP a few months ago and I found the neck too fat for my taste, it was just uncomfortable. A great looking guitar won't get you anywhere if it's not playable.

PS: Also note that if you're doing electric you'll need a decent amp (you didnt mention if your Hamer is acoustic or electric). As many people have said before, even if you have the best guitar in the world it will probably sound crappy if you have a crappy amp.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Novawind wrote:
    What type of music you like will also factor into it.

If you like blues or jazz, try out the Fender Strat for sure.
    Country (? haha) try a Fender Telecaster.
    Metal, try a Schecter (high quality).
    General rock some kind of Epiphone Les Paul should do it.

I think the most important thing is how comfortable it is to you personally. I tried an Epi LP a few months ago and I found the neck too fat for my taste, it was just uncomfortable. A great looking guitar won't get you anywhere if it's not playable.

PS: Also note that if you're doing electric you'll need a decent amp (you didnt mention if your Hamer is acoustic or electric). As many people have said before, even if you have the best guitar in the world it will probably sound crappy if you have a crappy amp.
    telecasters are definately just country guitars. i despise country but i cant put down my del. ash tele
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Remember, a good amp is just as if not more important than a good axe.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Let your fingers and ear tell you whats best, dont be swayed by a name either, check out schectors for sure and smaller named brands.

Andrew
    "a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw, delivered him wings said look at me now"
    we've all been given wings to fly, now all we have to do is soar
  • Have you looked at First Act? They have a great selection on their website that fit in your price range. Obviously, be sure and try out any brand first.
    http://firstact.com
    Keep the big door open and everyone will come around.
  • Don't buy epiphone believe me i already had one and play in other differents and it sucks compared with other guitars at same price...With that price you buy a Paul reed smith guitar,i have one and believe it kicks ass, love it...I have a Gibson SG Standard too and i prefer to play in the PRS, the Clean tone owns all other guitars...Dont be snob buying epiphone just because it's says gibson in little letters and looks like one...Try many guitars i recommend PRS or a ESP if you like heavy sound. For amplifier i recommend VOX and for ME try Boss Gt-8
    "Vocês são do caralho" Eddie Vedder 4/09/2006 Lisboa
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    DMBlover wrote:
    Have you looked at First Act? They have a great selection on their website that fit in your price range. Obviously, be sure and try out any brand first.

I saw some sort of documentry on TV a couple months back on First Act.....a very cool shop, they take their time crafting guitars.
  • DMBlover wrote:
    Have you looked at First Act? They have a great selection on their website that fit in your price range. Obviously, be sure and try out any brand first.
    are you a car salesman?
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • sennin wrote:
    I saw some sort of documentry on TV a couple months back on First Act.....a very cool shop, they take their time crafting guitars.

Really? Yeah, I have a friend in Boston who says they have an sweet custom shop.
    Keep the big door open and everyone will come around.