Complete new kid

ChrisChris Posts: 116
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I guess you get messages like this al the time on hear, but hit 30, and decided its tim to give in to my repressed urges and try to teach myself guitar.

I know bugger all about guitars, all the techie lingo, or anything like that, but wondered if anyone has any good suggestions for a decent guitar to get me going.

Huge PJ fan, Afghan Whigs, Screaming Trees, MMJ, etc and i guess that sort of sound would be what I was looking for buy I wouldnt of thought that helps much. In other words I wouldnt want to be the next Pantera.

Any suggestions would be great - sorry for dumbing down the techie discussions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Well, what's your budget?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Hmm...Maybe a Fender standard MIM Telecaster or Strat. Or if you want to go acoustic, Ovation Celebrities are great guitars for the money.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    For acoustic, I'd reccomend A&L.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    For acoustic, I'd reccomend A&L.
    ya, or takamine, def. not ovations
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If you're just starting out on guitar, I think acoustic is the better way to learn basics (modes, scales, chords etc). Electrics overall require a little more investment, especially if you get a nice amp, cables, pedals, power sources, etc.

I'd say lessons are key for anyone starting out.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The technique you develop on acoustic is easier to translate to an electric. the inverse cannot be said.
  • i've read that ibanez AEG acoustic/electric guitar are good guitars... anyone back me on this?
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • I have never had a lesson, but i think i owe the skills i DO have, to the fact that i started to learn on a classical guitar.
    I definitely recommend starting with an acoustic of some kind. For 100 bucks you could get a decent classical that would be easy to play, and you could get a feel for whether or not you want to invest in some higher end equipment and continue learning.
    I started on classical, bought a fender acoustic after a couple years, then a les paul electric. My les paul gathers dust, and i only ever play the fender or classical.

My 2 cents...
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    ya, or takamine, def. not ovations

Why not ovation? Is it because of the Lyrachord back? Just because it's different doesn't mean its not good. I have two acoustics, one being an Ovation, and the other being a 1961 Gretsch flat top. The bowl shape of the Lyrachord back actually makes the Ovation louder and a bit better sounding than the Gretsch. The round back is also more comfortable.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • I'd say acoustic, too.
    When you play acoustic, then you can play anywhere, you don't need power to plug in, therefore it's right there and ready for you to pick up and play even for a few minutes.

If you're at a party, you can pick up whatever's there and play, or you can sit in the backyard, or the woods and plunk out some notes and bother the squirrels!

Arts and Lutherie has been putting out some really nice guitars for a cheap price. $few hundred bucks. If you sit down with some in a music store, you can get the general feel of them, or others.
    An important thing is the neck. If you have long fingers, a bigger / wider neck might be for you, and smaller hands like smaller necks.

Once you get playing down, then you can taylor your sound with electrics if you decide to go there.
    If you stand with MMJ's guitarist's rig and play, the guitar will sound completely different than when he plays. You have to mix developing your style timing and technique with the type guitar rig you're using to get your sound.
    Besides,,,, you'll want your OWN sound anyway! :cool:

Good luck!!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I'll put you all in my sleave notes when I make it big. :)
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    rigneyclan wrote:
    Why not ovation? Is it because of the Lyrachord back? Just because it's different doesn't mean its not good. I have two acoustics, one being an Ovation, and the other being a 1961 Gretsch flat top. The bowl shape of the Lyrachord back actually makes the Ovation louder and a bit better sounding than the Gretsch. The round back is also more comfortable.
    IMO, they just have no sound to them. thats why someone starting out should just go with a drednaught.
    theyre a love or hate thing
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Chris wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. I had even thought about going acoustic first.
    I'll head down that line.
    I'll put you all in my sleave notes when I make it big. :)

Just another suggestion here... a few weeks ago I got a Yamaha FG 700S for $200, and it's well worth it. It might be a turn-off for some that it's a Yamaha, but it has a solid top (always something to go for in an acoustic) and it sounded better than any other acoustic in that price range in the store.

It goes for about $250 on Musiciansfriend, though, but it's still a great deal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG700-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512942

But hell, it is my first acoustic, so take my advice with a grain of salt if you want.

Also, I didn't have the opportunity to check out Art & Lutherie guitars, but a lot of people say they're simply the best for the price. They're probably worth a look as well.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    IMO, they just have no sound to them. thats why someone starting out should just go with a drednaught.
    theyre a love or hate thing

hm, to each his own, I guess.
    7/16/06 7/18/06