locks on a fender tweed case

fiddyfootromanfiddyfootroman Posts: 96
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
is there an easy way to pop these bad boys open. i just got my 57 reissue on friday and they forgot to include the damn key. They say itll be at least a week until they can get the key to me. This borders on cruel and unusual punishment. Do you think a locksmith could get them opened? Haven't called any guitar stores yet but would they have a master or something that could help? What about a paper clip? The waiting is driving me mad.
Music for Rhinos
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• savmansavman Posts: 230
    Man that sounds terrible!
    I would definately be trying a paperclip to get that thing open.
    Does it have screws anywhere? You could undo the screws maybe at the other end?
  • Not sure but one might fit all. Maybe swing by the local shop and see.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • thanks guys. just left work at half day to try and take care of this. already went through a few more paper clips after researching lockpicking and no luck. the guitar shop closest to me said they cant help. savman, not a screw on it, a lot of security for something that can just be picked up and taken away, if you ask me. the customer service guy from where i got the guitar said they've had a few other cases like this recently. what's going on at fender? i'd gladly take that job if whoever has it now cant handle it. i'm getting sick of just staring at this case. i'm just hoping that everything inside is alright because if i have to send this baby back on top of this my head will explode. going on a journey to find someplace to help, wish me luck.
    Music for Rhinos
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Many of those locks are chinsey with only one tumbler, so the keys typically only have one prong sticking up.
    Take a look at these guitar case locks and matching keys: http://i19.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/f8/b7/7f8b_1.JPG
    The first thing I'd do is try a bunch of suitcase keys. Then I'd just go down to another music store and see if
    they have any keys laying around that you can try (many times other customers have cases with keys that'll
    fit your case). The right bent/shaped paperclip should work, you've just got to have the correct spacing.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • got it open last night. went to a locksmith/key store and after one employee tried many many keys the owner brought one that she said she just picked off the ground one day and kept since she owns a key store. Turns out it was the key i needed, an exact copy of the one g&g supplied for the case. I was so happy and i got to play my new girl all night.
    Music for Rhinos
  • got it open last night. went to a locksmith/key store and after one employee tried many many keys the owner brought one that she said she just picked off the ground one day and kept since she owns a key store. Turns out it was the key i needed, an exact copy of the one g&g supplied for the case. I was so happy and i got to play my new girl all night.

Congrats!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    got it open last night. went to a locksmith/key store and after one employee tried many many keys the owner brought one that she said she just picked off the ground one day and kept since she owns a key store. Turns out it was the key i needed, an exact copy of the one g&g supplied for the case. I was so happy and i got to play my new girl all night.
    What's the chances of that happening. So lucky. Awesome.