Need Help To Find The One

ruhnkeruhnke Posts: 1
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am interested in learning how to play the guitar. I'm trying to educate myself on all the guitars available to me. I am starting from scratch; an extreme novice.
There are so many guitar brands to choose from, I don't know where to start. Also, I think an accoustic would be my first choice, but should I go ahead and get an accoustic/electric or just stick with a plain jane?
Also, someone starting out like me, does it really matter if I spend a couple hundred or hundreds? I don't think I want to go much over $300 to start out with. Problem is, is that there are so many choices in that price range. If I can get a good guitar for under $200 then that would be my first choice.
I just don't know where to start. Any advice would be good. I would like to get a guitar that is decent.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• well I am going to say avoid the acoustic electric. My first guitar was an acoustic electric (i still own it). If I could go back in time I would get a nicer plain acoustic rather than an acoustic electric. I just find I never use it. A nice acoustic easily provides enough volume for practice and entertaining your family members until you get better. If you eventually got to the point where you watned to play a coffee shop with it in a couple years you could easily mic it. So my advise is to get a plain acoustic. The secondly I would say at that price range you should play alot before you buy. In the 300$ price range it's gonna hit or miss so it is probably better if you play the actual guitar your gonna buy. make sure it is very comfortable for you to play or your never gonna wanna play it and won't get better. Ask the dealer to play it for you if you have to (or bring a friend with you that can strum a few chords) and listen closely for buzzing.

Theres some ideas to start you off I'm sure there will be many more responses to help you
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • well I am going to say avoid the acoustic electric. My first guitar was an acoustic electric (i still own it). If I could go back in time I would get a nicer plain acoustic rather than an acoustic electric. I just find I never use it. A nice acoustic easily provides enough volume for practice and entertaining your family members until you get better. If you eventually got to the point where you watned to play a coffee shop with it in a couple years you could easily mic it. So my advise is to get a plain acoustic. The secondly I would say at that price range you should play alot before you buy. In the 300$ price range it's gonna hit or miss so it is probably better if you play the actual guitar your gonna buy. make sure it is very comfortable for you to play or your never gonna wanna play it and won't get better. Ask the dealer to play it for you if you have to (or bring a friend with you that can strum a few chords) and listen closely for buzzing.

Theres some ideas to start you off I'm sure there will be many more responses to help you

Hummm...

I have this problem too, but luckily my dad had an old acoustic guitar so I could try wheter I liked it or not

A friend of mine had an acoustic guitar of his dad too, but he didi not like it, so he bought an electirc for 150 or 200 (with an amp)

But of course it sucked.

Now he bought hinself a nice amp (200) and a nice guitar(450)
    Now he's got nice equipment, and his old ass guitar is useless

so... he lit 200 bucks

what I wanna say:

get yourself an acoustic first, try wheter you like it, cause you wont get an average electirc for 300 bucks (with amp)
    yamaha pacifica is around 200 and an ok amp should be 200
    (at least hear in austria, dunno the american prices)

you can get a nice acoustic for 200 (if it's used even cheaper)
    and if you but a better guitar later you will do much easier

and PJ has a lot of songs that sound good played on an acoustic
    BANZÄÄÄ

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him
    By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs
    So this is what it's like to be an adult?
    If he only knew now what he knew then
  • Yamaha... That was the first guitar i started on. I have been playing Acoustic/Harmonica a few years. Learn to finger pic/flat pic. Just enjoy the sound and keep on pick "n". 1 year - 2 - 3 - 4 -5. It will all come together. Regards