Has mike influenced our choice of guitar purchases?

silverflowsilverflow Posts: 37
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
He's definitely influenced mine =P

Example. Before i got into Pearl Jam i wasnt really a fan of Stratocasters at all. And i absolutely despised the look of the three colour sunburt.

And look at me now......trying to find a USA Fender American Series Strat with a Three Colour Sunburt finish =P I'm not sure whether i want rosewood or maple though.....the maple and sunburst just seem to match eachother so perfectly!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I wouldn't say mike has influenced my guitar purchases, but between him and stone they have opened my eyes to alot of pedals and tones. For instance, The DL4 and MM4, i just ordered those after debating for months, they are pricey, but i finally caved and got them. Im a fan of strats and the "crunch tube" sound anyways, and i love the wah and overdrive. The only thing mike has truly sold me is the Hughes and Kettner rotosphere (im plannign on picking it up with NEXT years income tax return) at 500 bucks a pop it takes a bit of saving, other than that, my collection is done. Oh yeah, watchign them play wireless has somewhat inspired me as well.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    I would agree,

I want a Sunburst Strat....pretty much based on Mike.

I've bought pedals and looked at alot of gear also because of Mike and Stone too so I would agree. :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    My two electrics are a Fender American Strat in Tri-Color Sunburst with a rosewood fretboard (a la Mike's '59) and a Gibson SG Special in Teal (just like Ed's before he smashed it, except without the p90s). So to say Pearl Jam has influenced my guitar purchases is an understatement. But they both rock, along with that Greedtone pedal I picked up a few weeks ago, so its not all bad.
  • silverflowsilverflow Posts: 37
    lol dirty frank.....why in the rest of those photos do you just use the gibson =P
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    silverflow wrote:
    lol dirty frank.....why in the rest of those photos do you just use the gibson =P

The pics predate the strat. :p
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,844
    Even with how amazing it is to see McCready wail on his vintage Strat, I still much prefer the sound of the Les Paul.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Maybe not the guitar itself, but the color, yes. I always pictured myself getting a solid black guitar, or a solid dark red, etc, but now I am in love with the Sunburst. I am planning on getting a Suburst strat, the really bright sunburst color, not the dark kind.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well PJ are my favorite band and i have a strat and a les paul, so..........but i really have them for the same reasons PJ do- they are the foundation of rock and roll, and because of the people who used them before (hendrix, page, neil young, townshend)..........the one thing i definitely did buy cuz of PJ is the ibanez tubscreamer.........and i have no interest in PRSs, probably cuz PJ never used them!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    They've opened my eyes to stuff. Any other guitar player I enjoy influences my purchases. Or, If someone in a club I see has good tone it influences. I may buy a strat because of many people, one of them being Mike (the others being SRV and Jimi). Anyone with good tone has a good chance of having an influence.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Although strats are the standard guitar, i absolutely hate the way they look... probably just because they're so basic and every knockoff looks like a strat.

I feel like tele's are a lot better looking and sound just as good if not better. I'm on the virge of purchasing a telecaster similar to the ones mike and stone each play.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • When I got my strat I got it in Sunburst because I liked that color on Mike's 59 strat.

I got my SG mainly because Ed used one but then I played it and I loved it and then I got the color because of Ed's (teal).

I got a Ts9 because of Mike, I hated it and sold it.
    I got a BD-2 because of his tone from the Gorge during the acoustic set.
    I got a 535Q because of him, I was just going to get an original.
    I got a delay pedal because of his crazy stuff, but I got a digital delay instead of an analog but I still love it

LOL!!!! DIRTY_FRANK!! I have the same angle picture of my strat too...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/breakerfall13/0223061106.jpg
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Yeah he has, that's why I got a "Strat-ish" guitar, aka my G&L Tribute. I wasn't big on Strats and I went and played every MIM Strat and a few MIA Strats but seemed to really fall for that particular G&L and well I walked out with it haha.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • saw dwight yoakam...his lead guitarist...eddie perez, I do beleive, had a nice sunbusrt hollowbody telecaster.

I WANT ONE.

great, great tone off that thing.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Although strats are the standard guitar, i absolutely hate the way they look... probably just because they're so basic and every knockoff looks like a strat.

I feel like tele's are a lot better looking and sound just as good if not better. I'm on the virge of purchasing a telecaster similar to the ones mike and stone each play.

mike rarely plays a tele, stone busts one out every once in a while, ed is the tele man of the group

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Although strats are the standard guitar, i absolutely hate the way they look... probably just because they're so basic and every knockoff looks like a strat.

You mean like this?

http://www.gguitars.com/images/fe_av_52tele_bs/fe_av_52tele_bs_1a.jpg

*drool*

Mike and Stone really rocked the tele's during the Riot Act era:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Dl8jtqCKPE&search=save%20you

And Mike in '92. I think he smashed this guitar. :(

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dCABp6Wk66I&search=leash%20pinkpop