Authenticity of American Stratocaster Guitar's/

silverflowsilverflow Posts: 37
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys!

I'm just wondering, how can i tell whether a yank strat is real?

I cant really afford to buy a new one, so i've been looking on eBay and they go for quite cheap on there. Usually up to half price off.

Though how can i tell that the dude hasnt just painted on a serial number or something =P How can i tell whether he hasnt replaced the fender pickups with some cheapies? etc etc

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fender-American-Stratocaster-made-in-USA-as-new_W0QQitemZ7421704491QQcategoryZ33039QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USA-FENDER-STRATOCASTER-AMERICAN-TRADITIONAL_W0QQitemZ7422000828QQcategoryZ33039QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Like those two.....super cheap!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    first one's real. second one doesn't add up but i'm not an expert.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    The second one does look a little funky, but according to Fender's database, it could be legit: http://www.fender.com/support/dating/fender_us_dating.php

My guess is 1990 from the N90xxxx S/N.
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Fender/American_Traditional_Stratocaster-2.html

looks like it's some half-assed thing cobbled together from leftover parts.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The second one looks a little weird. I didn't know they did the 3 bolt neck with the small headstock. I wouldn't have any problem buying a guitar built from several guitars, hell, thats what Blackie was.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    i mean, i think fender sourced parts from all over to make this line of guitars. i don't think that particular one was assembled piece by piece by some guy.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    theres no micro tilt adjuster on the back of the neck where it meets the body that to me makes it seem rather dubious. And also the saddles dont look like the sort you get on an american strat.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Allright, im here!

Ok The first link is authentic, good price, good buy, comes with original case, and is about a year old. Seems like a good price, but im sure you could find one locally for the same price and save on shipping.

The second, is Also authentic. However, the price is a little outrageous...Its an American Traditional model, hence the minor changes to the bridge, 3 bolt neck, tuners, trees, and chrome backplate. It is not a good deal, and i would not suggest buying it. Also the "reissues" and "artist series" play significantly different than your average fender, so its allways a good idea to play them before purchasing just so you know what your getting. feel free to ask any questions, i should know, or will get, the answers for you when it comes to Strats

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • silverflowsilverflow Posts: 37
    Harrison. Remember that i live in Australia where a new USA Fender in the shops goes for around AUS$2500. The first guitar is one year old and looks like its never been played. I couldnt believe that noone bought it for AUS$500. I'm contacting the buyer now to see if i can arrange a pickup. But for such a low price i can just see the dude doing a no show lol =P

I just cant believe noone bought it!
  • You guys are really getting hosed. If you don't mind me asking, what is minimum wage, or an average wage of people there in australlia? I work in a restuarant and to buy an american strat i would have to work 100 hours, at 50% higher than minimum wage. So its not "that pricey" to me, but 2500 AUS is like 2200 Canadian (American strat goes for about 1200 here.) mayeb the markets are just different?

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • silverflowsilverflow Posts: 37
    No idea what minimum wage here is lol......but a 21 year old like myself earns about 15-17 an hour.....so 156 hours worth of work for a new USA Fender.

But yeah still going on about that 1st strat. $500 and noone bought it? Damm crazy! A new imatation guitar made in china goes for 300 at least. I'm gonna hound this guy until he sells it to me lol =P