Question about paint wear.

silverflowsilverflow Posts: 37
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok well firstly check out this picture of our Stone with his Fender.

http://www.pearljam.com/i/tourphotos/20060601/7.jpg

Now answer me this question. How does he get the wear near the front strap peg?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Couldn't tell ya how.....

But man, that is one of my favourite Stone guitars....such a classic.

It has such unique wear on it.

Question #2.......

Actually I'll start a thread on it :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Honestly it probably got a small chip from something happening, and he just picked it off. Thats just how the paint wears now adays. Not like the old days
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • there are luthiers specialized in making the guitars look old...
    check on the gibson custom web site.. they have infos about it...

well.. i'm not telling he paid to make his guitar look old.. but.. you know...
    [ 14 ]
    san diego '06 | los angeles '06 | los angeles '06 | san francisco '06 | seattle '09 | salt lake city '09 | los angeles '09 | los angeles '09 | philadelphia '09 | arras '10 | lisbon '10 | berlin '12 | oslo '12 | copenhagen '12
  • there are luthiers specialized in making the guitars look old...
    check on the gibson custom web site.. they have infos about it...

well.. i'm not telling he paid to make his guitar look old.. but.. you know...

Lol, yeah.

His is the real deal. He probably just picked at a chip. I have a friend with a custom shop relic '62 strat in fiesta red like Stones there. It has far less paint wear on it however.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    silverflow wrote:
    Ok well firstly check out this picture of our Stone with his Fender.

http://www.pearljam.com/i/tourphotos/20060601/7.jpg

Now answer me this question. How does he get the wear near the front strap peg?
    Same as everyone else, sandpaper.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i believe i read somewhere that he just sort of started chipping it off slowly.
  • That paint definitely was chipped off and scraped a bit, but sometimes hot stage lights get to the older paint jobs, too. They were nitrocellulose and more inconsistant than new polyurethane paints. Sweat and heat get to the old guitars more than new ones.
    Could be those long bus trips with nothing to do, too, just picking away! :D

I think one of the only authentically worn Strats was Stevie Ray Vaughns. I saw him live quite a few times, and the reason his was worn was that he used to take that sucker and slide it across the stage, drop it, throw it. His tech, Rene Martinez, was a busy man keeping his guitars going!

When I used to fix guitars all the time I would get the roadhouse blues guys' guitars in and you could see the sandpaper marks in the finish where they wanted the worn look.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • You can't get todays paint to wear like the paint of the nitrocellulose days. The old days would wear nice, even your sweat would effect it. Not now, dam'n crap just chips. At least my '62 reissue Jazz has a nitrocellulose finish. I want that bad boy to wear out.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think it's cheap when guys fake the wear with sandpaper or whatever. SRV did it right.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I think one of the only authentically worn Strats was Stevie Ray Vaughns. I saw him live quite a few times, and the reason his was worn was that he used to take that sucker and slide it across the stage, drop it, throw it. His tech, Rene Martinez, was a busy man keeping his guitars going!

rory gallagher, baby!!!
  • exhausted wrote:
    rory gallagher, baby!!!

Ha ha!! I forgot about that one!!! Man, that dude had some soul!!

No doubt that was the real deal,,,,,,,Blood sweat and beers!
    Be kind, man

yeah stone has been picking, i have an older strat and when it gets bumped a little crater is formed with flaked paint in it, once you get your finegr nail under it, its hard not to see how big you can make it.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • I think it's cheap when guys fake the wear with sandpaper or whatever. SRV did it right.

Number 1 was pretty warn out when he bought it used in the first place. But if you ever seen him play it, you know how it got to look like it did. That was all from his style, not sand paper.

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    rory gallagher had like three chips of paint left!!!

I love that strat from Stone, I call it Charlie Brown.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Number 1 was pretty warn out when he bought it used in the first place. But if you ever seen him play it, you know how it got to look like it did. That was all from his style, not sand paper.

he used to lay his guitar down and ride it liek a surfboard while stomping on the whammy, enough said.

One of his crew guys said in an interview about his guitar that he would often lose the letters he had on so he would run around truck stops late at night and peel a new set of S R V to stick onto his guitar, its why i dont like fenders version of it, not authentic enough, i will only buy it when i hear about the people at custom shop stealing letters late at night from truck stops.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • I guess this isn't really a worn out guitar, but it's my favorite guitar in the world:

http://members.tripod.com/~arf_she_said/fzguitars/jimistrat.jpg

The Strat that Hendrix burned in Miami, then one of his techs gave it to Frank Zappa in Monterey. He had it on his wall for a while, then had it put back together and used it in the late 70's. :cool:

Dweezel has it now, and I'm hoping he sees this and says,,, "I should give this to that guy Bob on that Pearl Jam message board"

Come on Dweezel!! You can do it!! I'll take good care of it!!

:D
    Be kind, man

One of his crew guys said in an interview about his guitar that he would often lose the letters he had on so he would run around truck stops late at night and peel a new set of S R V to stick onto his guitar, its why i dont like fenders version of it, not authentic enough, i will only buy it when i hear about the people at custom shop stealing letters late at night from truck stops.

read the same interview. He always carried a ton of extra left handed tremolo's