I guess there is no hope for me............

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I got a electric guitar for Christmas, and mostly just have been fooling around and just playing around with it. So, I decided to learn to actually play it. Well, the problem is that I'm double jointed in my hands and I'm having a terrible time trying to get my fingers to the right frets, because of the double jointedness (is that even a word?). So, I was hoping that you all could me some suggestion on how I can overcome this. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    seagirl wrote:
    I got a electric guitar for Christmas, and mostly just have been fooling around and just playing around with it. So, I decided to learn to actually play it. Well, the problem is that I'm double jointed in my hands and I'm having a terrible time trying to get my fingers to the right frets, because of the double jointedness (is that even a word?). So, I was hoping that you all could me some suggestion on how I can overcome this. Thanks!

adapt, keep playing, keep trying. Jerry Garcia didn't have all of his fingers and there are some excellent blind players. Just keep at it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Well my girlfriend is a kineisiologist. There is no such thing as double jointedness. That is, it is just a saying used to describe weak tendons or other conditions leading to over flexible joints. So most of the time it can be fixed through physio-therapy. I suggest buying a grip master and practice alot. I have a similar problem just with my pinkys that is slowly getting better with daily exagerated use.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I guess I just need to practice some more. Anyone have any suggestions on maybe some strength exercises that I could do maybe to loosen up my fingers and maybe build strength in my arms?
  • seagirl wrote:
    I guess I just need to practice some more. Anyone have any suggestions on maybe some strength exercises that I could do maybe to loosen up my fingers and maybe build strength in my arms?

Get one or two of these things:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/429070/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.

thanks, I think I might have to get one of those.

I can already tell my shoulder is sore as well, hmm I guess I need to start lifting weights.
  • when it starts to hurt, that's is my new credo for deciding I have practised enough. If you really wanna improve it will be fun but not easy necessarily.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    well I've been practicing for a few days and I have the c scale down and a couple of riffs!