Learning guitar, is it always this daunting?

paddy22paddy22 Posts: 21
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I got a guitar a couple of months ago, and I am tring to learn the basic, but I havent had much time. But the thing is I learned the 7 main chords, A-f, and thats all, I am tring to strum properlly but it isn't tuned and it sounds shit.
But the other day I went smoking with some friends and they started playing songs that are easy to recignoise, like Niel Young, Zepplin, green day, and I noticed they were playing nots all up and down the fret board, and I started thinking how the fuck am I ment to learn all that.
Is this commmen when you learn first, to be so daunted?
How long should it take to learn to a respectable level?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Yup, I was pretty daunted when I first started. That's normal. Just keep practising and give it a little time. And try not to take any notice of more experienced players showing off.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • It just takes time, that's all. A little hard work and you'll notice improvement. It's not overnight, that's for sure, but there is room for serious, and quick improvement.
  • If you really feel daunted with it, try taking a few lessons. You can really learn a lot in a short amount of time and get ahead of the game.

Your friends were probably doing barre chords. That's a good thing to learn. The most common barre chords are the E and A position. You use your index finger to fret across , for instance all the third position frets, then play the E or A chord with your pinky, ring and middle fingers. It takes a while to develop the strength, but it's good to learn.
    You can barre the C and D position chords pretty easily, too, with practice.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart