What chords should beginers learn?

paddy22paddy22 Posts: 21
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just got my first guitar, and I was wondering what are the main chords to learn. I think Neil Young songs are good to learn on, is there any websites that have his music on it?
How long did it take you guys to be able to play a recignoisable full song?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• learn g,d,a,e,c those make up about 95% of every song ever written.. best thing is buy a cord chart and learn em
  • G
    C
    D
    A
    Em
    Am

Rockin In The Free World is just 3 chords - Em, D, C and the Chorus is G, D, C, Em, open strings

all of these are Majors

search for them online or if you have a guitar book they should be in there
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Along with the above, if you can find a decent priced and good teacher in your area go for it. I never would've picked up my guitar if I hadn't finally gotten off my ass and found a good teacher in my area.
  • paddy22 wrote:
    I just got my first guitar, and I was wondering what are the main chords to learn. I think Neil Young songs are good to learn on, is there any websites that have his music on it?
    How long did it take you guys to be able to play a recignoisable full song?

Man you could learn guitar really quick if you buy GuitarWorld magazine!!!

YES.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    get a poster with all the chords pictured on it
  • Master that F major and that F minor.
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Just do what everyone else does these days,tune your guitar to drop D tuning and 1 finger becomes a chord.Ohh the metal fun will never stop.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • Barre chords are fair handy to learn too...a lot of song use em,well the add9 chords...i just picked up AiC unplugged and started learning...Jerry Catrell uses alot of the same chords and shapes...alot of his rif are barres...rooster,got me wrong....
    Do these after the basic chords though,as they can be the hardest,what with the moving of the fingers n what not,it can be quite hard at first.