help me decide which acoustic to get

HardtoImagineHardtoImagine Posts: 48
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
so I'm looking at buying a new acoustic,
http://www.music123.com/Takamine-GS330S-i29851.music
so far this looks like the way to go
anyone got any other suggestion in my price range which is $600-1000 nz which as i understnd is $400 - 650 us
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Personally I like Epiphone acoustics a lot

Washburns are nice acoustics as well

stay away from the Yahmaha acoustics, I have one, pretty bad
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Personally I like Epiphone acoustics a lot

Washburns are nice acoustics as well

stay away from the Yahmaha acoustics, I have one, pretty bad

i played a nice yamaha in the local store yesterday, so they arent all bad
  • Have you heard of Maton?
    They're an Australian acoustic made from Queensland wood and are amazing. Give a unique sound and look great too!
    Expensive though.
    Wave came crashing...
  • I have an Epiphone AJ 200, its a real nice guitar and its pretty cheap. Id check one of those out, also yahmaha's are pretty good but I like epiphone better.
    I don't question our existence I just question our modern needs
    -Garden
  • is the Epiphone Lennon sig. nice...it looks nice, if i got it i would change the pickup to the one on the real gibson or to a better one

how about the ej-200?
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • I don't know a whole lot about them, but it looks like a decent deal. I don't know how much lower end you'll get out of it, but Takamine makes nice stuff.
    It says guaranteed for life, too.

Cedar tops are a bit soft, and you do have to take good care of a cedar guitar because it'll ding a little easier, but other than that, looks good to me. Try to find a Takamine if you can, locally, and play it and see if the neck suits you, too. That may give you a read on what this one feels like.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Cedar tops are a bit soft, and you do have to take good care of a cedar guitar because it'll ding a little easier, but other than that, looks good to me. Try to find a Takamine if you can, locally, and play it and see if the neck suits you, too. That may give you a read on what this one feels like.

oh yeah i played a takamine an10 the other day which is considerably more expensive, and quite honestly it was the best gutar i have ever played. I have a mate who own this model of takamine and im gonna head round to his house and try it out in the next couple of days.
  • oh yeah i played a takamine an10 the other day which is considerably more expensive, and quite honestly it was the best gutar i have ever played. I have a mate who own this model of takamine and im gonna head round to his house and try it out in the next couple of days.

That's good that you can play one first. I'm not one that usually goes for a guitar that I can't feel and hear first.
    There also are a couple of nice guitars, Seagull, and Arts and Lutherie who make really nice lower priced guitars in that range. Seagulls mostly have cedar tops, but I never could bond with their necks. Too wide for me, but if they're in the shops there, you might try them.
    I guess it depends on what you have available there in your awesome country. I LOVE New Zealand. :cool:
    Be kind, man

I have an Art & Lutherie and i love it, that's in Canada though...

Maybe check them out too :):) Good luck!!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • You can't be wrong with a takamine!!!!
    Pierre

I live in Laval, I'm looking for some musicians to make a band. Drum, bass and guitar are needed. More songs with voices can be sent on demand.
    www.myspace.com/fridayzodds
    www.myspace.com/vignesartichots
  • I played that one in the link you sent, it was okay. There were some other Taka's i liked alot better and for the money you can't beat a Martin 00CXAE
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • That's good that you can play one first. I'm not one that usually goes for a guitar that I can't feel and hear first.
    There also are a couple of nice guitars, Seagull, and Arts and Lutherie who make really nice lower priced guitars in that range. Seagulls mostly have cedar tops, but I never could bond with their necks. Too wide for me, but if they're in the shops there, you might try them.
    I guess it depends on what you have available there in your awesome country. I LOVE New Zealand. :cool:

i love new zealand too, are u from around here or have you visted? Unforunately the selection at my local store is pretty weak, 3 or 4 different brands maybe. which is why i might head down to wellington soon to check some others out
  • i love new zealand too, are u from around here or have you visted? Unforunately the selection at my local store is pretty weak, 3 or 4 different brands maybe. which is why i might head down to wellington soon to check some others out

I visited on band tours quite a few times years ago, to Aukland and Wellington mainly, but then I spent 2 months wandering around there trekking maybe 4 years ago and loved the country, and the people. The Kepler Track is one of the most beautiful 3 day walks in the world! :cool:.
    I spent a whole day contemplating the world at the tippy top of the North Island at Renga where the Pacific and Tasman sea meet. Five day trek along the coast without seeing any other people!

Yup, you'd be well off to go try a few different brands out. You never know what one may speak to you! You may end up with the Tak, but might as well see what else is out there, too.
    Be kind, man