Help me out... what should i get

tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
im looking to buy a new guitar that is in the 300-500 dollar range. i have a fender right now. im leaning towards an ibanez hollow body so i cant get the best of both worlds with my fender and the ibanez. some people have told me to get epiphone or stick with fender.

anyone got any ideas. my favorite band is pearl jam and i love playing their stuff but i have a lot of stuff that ive wrote that would sound good on the hollow body. im also into playing the white stripes, the strokes, dave matthews,hendrix...im all over the place.

thanks
5/24/06 - Boston
5/25/06 - Boston
6/28/08 - Mansfield
6/30/08 - Mansfield
8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i have an epiphone dot that i love. however, i was impressed with the ibanez artcore guitars too. either one would be a good bet. the dot is a semihollow but the artcore i was looking at was a full-hollow model and i thought it sounded great.
  • The Epiphone Les Paul is an awesome guitar.

I cannot express how much I have enjoyed playing my friends.. I almost like it as much as my fender american strat.
    PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
    Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
    Don't get behind I can't fall back.
    Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
    They don't want no change. We already have.
  • i've got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (600 bucks) and it's a very nice guitar for the price. So i guess i'm recommending an Epi LP.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • A friend of mine had an Ibanez ArtCore for a little over a year, recorded and toured with it, it always sounded great and played well, no problems. The only thing I'd mention is that a strap-lock system would be great to have. The button on the neck side is a little easy to let go...

Man, it's good to be back...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I just got this last week. It's a hell of a deal, don't let the low price fool you. Check out the reviews. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/514013/
    hate was just a legend
  • I just got this last week. It's a hell of a deal, don't let the low price fool you. Check out the reviews. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/514013/

Free shipping too!
    Add your benaroya vinyl # to the list!!!
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=104018
  • heaveheave Posts: 159
    andydick8 wrote:
    Free shipping too!

it's eligible for free shipping....

"Free Shipping offer is valid only to the lower 48 States. "

lol
  • You might want to check out Agile guitars. I hear that they are really good for the price. They make a les paul style guitar, solid mahogany body, set neck, grover tuners, etc. for about $225. Most people change pickups from what I hear, which will still only cost about $150 more or so. SO you get a good guitar with great pickups for about $375. I'll probably end up doing this one day when I get more money because I've always wanted a Cherry Sunburst Les Paul to go with my black one, but I can't afford the $2000 it costs to get a gibson one. just go to http://www.rondomusic.net and look around. you might like them or you might not. just a suggestion.
  • Go with the Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow. I absolutely love mine and I play it more than any other guitar I own. I did drop some Seymour Duncans in there, but you can get away with the stock pu's which sound pretty damn good for a $300 guitar. Quality at this price is amazing!
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Just my opionion, but you can't beat Epiphone in that price range. I've owned a couple of Les Pauls that were great and have talked with a few people that own dots and such that are very pleased that got an epi.
  • I now own a Epiphone Dot & love it. It's a very beautiful & versatile guitar. Down the road I'll most likely be upgrading it.

Here it is...
    DSCN1995.jpg

For right now, I've ordered a white toggle switch, & a set of black top hat knobs for it. (to give it the look of the Gibson) I'll post a picture of it once they have been changed.
    "Fuckin' hippies!"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The Ibanez and Yamaha hollow-body electrics run circles around the Fender and Epiphone stuff in the same price range. I think it would be wise of you to go with your instinct. The Artcore is a very well built guitar in the under 500 category.

Good luck! :)

If you absolutely must have an Epi, go with a Tokai instead...better quality control for some strange reason.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    enharmonic wrote:
    If you absolutely must have an Epi, go with a Tokai instead...better quality control for some strange reason.

Another Tokai fan... excellent...

Although I think you give Epiphone a bad rap. They have cheap, worthless crap, but they also have some really beautiful, well-playing, great-sounding guitars. Especially for the price. You just gotta know what you're buying, as with anything.

But I'd still love a goldtop Love Rock...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Get out there and try different guitars, see what suits you. But yeah the Epi Les Paul is an amazing guitar. I love mine to bits
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (