Drummers...

brainofj10brainofj10 Posts: 8
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, i just got a drum set and i'm wondering how i should get started. Any tips?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    depends how much of the basics you know

if you can keep a beat, its just a case of sitting on the drums for hours playing with everything, getting to know each part.

for me, the best way to learn was to listen to music whenever you can, and simply listen to the drums. figure out what they are doing e.g tom fills, splashes, china etc, and just visualise it in your head.

it really helps you with your kit awareness

apart from that, just listen to tunes and drum along

and enjoy!
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Posts: 443
    if you can't keep solid time, no one and i mean NO ONE, will want to play with you. the way i learned is by playing along to CDs and to a metronome. it sounds boring, but it gets you in shape, sharpens your timing and also lets you start to feel the music. now, i don't have to think twice about my timing and i can relax and feel the music and it makes my fills more tasteful and dynamic.

i would actually disagree with the last poster, respectfully. fills, splashes, crashes, effects and all that don't mean anything if you're not steady back there. learn to walk, then learn to fly...

honestly, i'd tell you to listen to back in black by ac/dc. the whole album. very solid straight forward rock drumming. once you've mastered that album, you've got a very good foundation of rock drumming to build on. notice there's no fancy fills or cymbal effects on there at all, but it's considered a rock classic... that's no coincidence.

good luck... like anything, practice practice practice... get a practice pad for your stickwork exercises and take lessons. it will all help.
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • brainofj10brainofj10 Posts: 8
    thanks a lot guys
  • honestly, i'd tell you to listen to back in black by ac/dc. the whole album. very solid straight forward rock drumming. once you've mastered that album, you've got a very good foundation of rock drumming to build on. notice there's no fancy fills or cymbal effects on there at all, but it's considered a rock classic... that's no coincidence.

good luck... like anything, practice practice practice... get a practice pad for your stickwork exercises and take lessons. it will all help.

I agree with listening to some straightforward basic rock like AC/DC. I honed my rock drumming skills by playing along to the likes of GN'R and Def Leppard.
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    i would actually disagree with the last poster, respectfully. fills, splashes, crashes, effects and all that don't mean anything if you're not steady back there. learn to walk, then learn to fly...
    thats why i started with "if you can keep a beat"

listening to everything a drummer is doing helps you understand the dynamics of fills and as i said, improves the awareness of the drums around you

i am not saying that you should throw in crazy drum solos and fills

just listen and enjoy
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Start playing these along with a metronome. You are on time if you can't really hear the clicks/beeps.

R=right hand
    L=Left hand

Start slow and stay on time then gradually speed them up.

RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL

RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL

RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

RRRR LLLL RRRR LLLL

LRLLRR LRLRLL RLRLRR LRLRLL

LRL RLR LRL RLR

LRR LRR LRR LRR

RLL RLL RLL RLL
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    brainofj10 wrote:

Welcome to the brotherhood of warping out time(ing)!

How many pieces and what kind of kit?

Rudiments are your salvation.

This is an excellent link to get you started

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html

start slow and start right. Don't overlook the the basics especially how you hold your sticks and keep your timing. Sounds crazy but bad habits are really hard to break. It will only hold you back later in frustration...

When you start to get awesome (and fast) the last thing you want to realize is your stick grip is holding you back from achieving the next level.

Remember you will get faster so balance that grip for bounce and control. Also experiment with different grip positions on the snare to find what suits you best.

Get involved with your musican friends... make some if necessary...especially bass players... you can rock out with a bass player all afternoon and groove like crazy...

I had a couple pearl sets until I grabbed a Roland TD20 kit...it's pretty sick kit and never gets boring.

I got tons more training stuff on the web that will get you rocking in no time so lemme know

also consider getting one of these... and carry it like a bible...it'll dial you in like a champ
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=715&ParentId=62

Most of all >have fun!<
    brainofj10 wrote:

Hey Brian forgot to mention...don't jam to your favorite songs all the time..as wicked fun as it is, you won't grow near as fast. Split up your sessions between straight practice time and jamming to tunes time.

So much to tell you... but start with the stuff in my last post first, listen to some jazz once and a while for the fills and think about them...you don't necessarily have to try play to it... but it will give you some godd ideas of where you can go on your fills.

Timing timing timing. That's first....record yourself and listen back every so often..you will find your timing is way worse that what you thought you really sounded like. So get everything tight before you get all fancy with fills.

If you're in school take music class and start up a band...chicks will dig you bro trust me on that one ;) highschool groupies will do wonders for your self esteem :)

I wish I had those tips when I started out...
    Start playing these along with a metronome. You are on time if you can't really hear the clicks/beeps.

R=right hand
    L=Left hand

Start slow and stay on time then gradually speed them up.

RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL

RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL

RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

RRRR LLLL RRRR LLLL

LRLLRR LRLRLL RLRLRR LRLRLL

LRL RLR LRL RLR

LRR LRR LRR LRR

RLL RLL RLL RLL

Patrick. Good ones... most of my favs...amazing where you can go with just those. LRLLRR LRLRLL RLRLRR LRLRLL ....way fast on the snare...godlike! :)
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Take lessons. Not even kidding. :)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1