Just got some drums..

brainofj10brainofj10 Posts: 8
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Got some drums for christmas. pretty excited about it. just wondering if anyone knows a good site i could find some pj and/or other good drum tabs. also, anyone have any tips for a beginner on how to get started?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    brainofj10 wrote:
    Got some drums for christmas. pretty excited about it. just wondering if anyone knows a good site i could find some pj and/or other good drum tabs. also, anyone have any tips for a beginner on how to get started?

if you're new forget about pj tabs for now...learn the right way...buy a book...i have 2 great books...drums for dummies has some very informative stuff...also "stick control" is great...practice stick control over and over...it's so valuable to get the basics and learn the right way...a drum pad it a good investment and will save you're ears

also, download the 26 (there may be over 40 now) rudiments...26 is below...

http://www.drummingweb.com/rudiments.htm

can't go wrong with lessons...they can be expensive, but if you can afford to take a few here and there you'll be suprised how fast you learn

again if you're a total newb you have a lot of hard work until drums will be a blast...hard work will pay off...buy the dummies book...you'll learn so much

pm me with any questions...also http://www.pearldrummersforum.com is a great forum

hope I helped at all
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    forget books, forget tabs

listen to music for hours on end, ignoring the other instruments- just focus on what the drummer is doing...every single fuckin beat

watch live music regardless of style, to get ideas and watch what the drummer is doing

then just sit at the kit and work for hours until you condition yourself to be coordinated so that your 4 limbs work entirely independently

thats what i did, and im all the better for it:)
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    duggro wrote:
    forget books, forget tabs

listen to music for hours on end, ignoring the other instruments- just focus on what the drummer is doing...every single fuckin beat

watch live music regardless of style, to get ideas and watch what the drummer is doing

then just sit at the kit and work for hours until you condition yourself to be coordinated so that your 4 limbs work entirely independently

thats what i did, and im all the better for it:)

everyone has their own way, but I disagree...I think the best way to progress it to take lessons and learn the rudiments, then from there master the little things...greatness will come, but i think only after hard work

don't get me wrong I love watching Keith Moon (if that's how he learned)