Epiphone Les Paul

YeahThatRocks.comYeahThatRocks.com Posts: 117
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking to buy another guitar, but don't want to spend thoushands. I currently have a 1986 Kramer Pacer (US made) which is nice, but I can't get a very low end rumbling sound out of it.

I was looking at the Epiphone Les Pauls, mostly cause their a lot cheaper. I know they're no where as good as the Gibsons, but I play in my house and occasionally jam with others so I don't want to go for big bucks.

Does anyone know if they have a nice low end sound? A nice thick chunky sound is what I'm looking for.

I'm using a Marshall MG30DFX amp.
Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
2003 MSG 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I haven't played an Epiphone LP, but a if you're looking for something similar to an LP's feel and sound on a budget, the Dean Czech Cadillac is a very good buy. I think its somewhere around $500 nowadays. The link is just Dean's general Cadillac page, not the Czech ones. They may not be making them anymore, but you should be able to find one on Ebay.

http://www.bill-lewington.com/Dean/electrics/caddyind.htm
  • i've got an Epiphone LP Custom and i really really like it. Gives out a nice heavy sound and plays very nice...cost me around 600 bucks...very good guitar as far as that price range is concerned.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Although I don't have one, the guitarist and bass player/guitarist in my band both have one, a standard and a gold-top, and they sound really good. For what you're doing with it, I'd say it's more than good enough. I even have a Fender Squier M77 Les Paul copy that gets the job done in a live situation when I need that chest thumping crunch from a humbucker.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • I was looking at the Epiphone Les Pauls, mostly cause their a lot cheaper. I know they're no where as good as the Gibsons, but I play in my house and occasionally jam with others so I don't want to go for big bucks.

Does anyone know if they have a nice low end sound? A nice thick chunky sound is what I'm looking for.

If you want thick and crunchy, a Les Paul is the way to go. Can't get much thicker and crunchier. Definitely look at the Standard or STudio models, the Juniors don't have as much body mass, which makes them less chunky.

And don't be fooled... the Epiphone models are actually pretty close to the true Gibson models these days. It's a combination of Epiphone making better stuff, and Gibson quality-control slipping a lot.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I played an epi paul for about 5 or 6 years. Great guitar. Mine is a standard. the main difference is in the wood. an epi usually is made out of multiple chunks of wood where as a Gibson is usually a 1 piece body. THE only thing I would tell you to do is CHANGE THE PICKUPS and CHANGE THE TUNING heads this will add about 300 to the cost. the reason Is the Epiphone tuners are cheap, and the pickups are not very hot. If you replace the pickups you'll get a much crunchier sound without having to use as much distortion. Isuggest Seymour Duncan AlnicoII as a great pickup
    It's really great when your in a limo you can put your head to the window and look out at all the homeless people-E.V.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the 56 gold top with P-90's is really cool. Especially if you swap the a forementioned pickups and tuning machines.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ive got a studio version of the epi les paul

plays great of course and i love it.

what i was told was that the studio is the same guitar as the standard, but not as flared up and pretty, and it also costs quite a bit less :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • The Studio guitars were built as no-frills versions of the Standard Les Pauls, with no binding, simple inlays, and no fancy finishes. The idea was to give people a guitar that had all the tonal character of the Standard, but not as pretty, for people to use for recording. So, you could have your fancy Standard to impress all the ladies, and the simpler Studio when nobody's watching. So, if you want the sound, the Studio has it... and some folks (like me) prefer the less-showy looks, too.

I agree with Paco... the '56 Les Paul goldtop reissue, with P-90's, is a great guitar. Put a nice set of Seymour Duncans or Lindy Fralins in, and replace the tuners with Grover or Planet Waves, and you've got a killer guitar. Hell, the stock pickups aren't even that bad... but the tuners need to be swapped...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/518320/
  • The Studio guitars were built as no-frills versions of the Standard Les Pauls, with no binding, simple inlays, and no fancy finishes. The idea was to give people a guitar that had all the tonal character of the Standard, but not as pretty, for people to use for recording. So, you could have your fancy Standard to impress all the ladies, and the simpler Studio when nobody's watching. So, if you want the sound, the Studio has it... and some folks (like me) prefer the less-showy looks, too.

I agree with Paco... the '56 Les Paul goldtop reissue, with P-90's, is a great guitar. Put a nice set of Seymour Duncans or Lindy Fralins in, and replace the tuners with Grover or Planet Waves, and you've got a killer guitar. Hell, the stock pickups aren't even that bad... but the tuners need to be swapped...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/518320/
    yea thats what i heard about my beloved studio epi :)

good to know i have a 600 dollar sounding guitar
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I've had an epi paul for about 5 years and it's been good to me. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Gibson '57 classic humbucker which definately improved my sound. It's pretty simple to replace yourself too.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Beav wrote:
    I've had an epi paul for about 5 years and it's been good to me. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Gibson '57 classic humbucker which definately improved my sound. It's pretty simple to replace yourself too.

Ah... another one bites the '57 bullet.

Is there truly a better pickup available to the general public?
  • In my opionion Epiphone makes one of the best guitars you can buy in that price range. You can get a dog, but you can get a dog in Gibson as well. The epi's really are a good value and sound pretty good, even stock. Of course a pickup change will definatlely change things, but I don't think it's something you have to do right off the bat, especially playing it like I think you're going to. You may never want to change them. Try them out for a little while and decide. Tuning keys are the same. They definately aren't the best out there, but they'll get you by. Play it a while and decide if it's worth it to you to spend the extra money.

I had a 2000 Les paul limited editon that I sold recently. The first thing everyone commented on when they picked it up was how well the neck played. I'm an idiot for selling it, really.
  • I just bought the Epiphone '56 les paul gold top.
    Its awesome. Better than i thought it was gonna be. The feel, the pick ups sound , finish.
    Well worth the money.
    The p-90's sound really good. Just bought it new for only $599
    I think its pretty close to a gibson and it was a hell of alot cheaper.
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    the 56 gold top with P-90's is really cool. Especially if you swap the a forementioned pickups and tuning machines.

What do you mean?
  • Thanks everyone for the great advice!

I had bought my son a Epiphone SG, G-310. I was amazed how good it sounded and played for a $200 guitar.

So it got me thinking about getting a more classic sound than my current 80's shred sound that I get with my 86 Kramer.

Thanks again for the help.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    C-minor wrote:
    What do you mean?

If you like the pickups there is no need for a swap, but there are better sounding pickups available if you wanted to do that.

I hate gibson tuning machines, especially the plastic "vintage" klusons. They sucked in the 50's and they still suck now. Some Grover/Schaller/Sperzel lockers can be obtained for around 60 bucks a set, giving you much greater tuning stability and ease of restringing. Changing the nut to bone or Graphite also helps tuning and tone.

Congrats, you got a great guitar.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    If you like the pickups there is no need for a swap, but there are better sounding pickups available if you wanted to do that.

I hate gibson tuning machines, especially the plastic "vintage" klusons. They sucked in the 50's and they still suck now. Some Grover/Schaller/Sperzel lockers can be obtained for around 60 bucks a set, giving you much greater tuning stability and ease of restringing. Changing the nut to bone or Graphite also helps tuning and tone.

Congrats, you got a great guitar.

I thought you meant swap the pick ups from top to bottom.
    I actually like the P-90's . They have a great sound.
    I do hate the plastic tunning pegs.
    Between that and my american strat Im very happy with my two guitars.
    Thanks for the advice