Singing and playing "RvM"...

All_Five_HorizonsAll_Five_Horizons Posts: 15
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I'm trying to play eddie's part on guitar for rearviewmirror and sing it too, and it is fricken hard! Anyone here able to do this well (or try at least)? I've seen video of eddie doing this live, and whereas most of his parts on guitar are managable while singing, this one is pretty involved.
"Speaking as a child of the nineties..."

It's been real, and it's been fun -- but it hasn't been real fun.

Ed!!! Bring back the stage dives!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Practice.

ten c's
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • keep practicing the guitar part until you can play it in your sleep.

then try singing...
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • That one is tricky..

try it slow then gradually speed up.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i thought it was impossible to and then it came to me, the reason it gets easy is cuz the notes are nonstop, so you get the rhythm...

HOWEVER, the one thats impossible for me after all these years is betterman, because there are pauses in the notes, which don't match up with the words
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • i like to play along with the 2000 bootleg versions, joining in on the noisy improv section. i've got a dm-3 delay, a wah and an ebow. i love just following jeff's bass line and messing around until the chorus starts back up, then i just start going nuts and trying to keep up during the 'strobe light' section at the end.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • It's pretty tough to hit the speed they are at. I've been practicing it some, and I can tell it's going to be a while.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Mad syncopation right there...hand not even trying to follow the vocal. Not a "hard" song technically, but one that will make you a better performer, and stretch your right and left brain :)
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    HOWEVER, the one thats impossible for me after all these years is betterman, because there are pauses in the notes, which don't match up with the words
    really? man... do you play drunk or something? that one is easssssssssssssy. ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i do alot of things drunk, but i've never been able to sing over the betterman opening riff
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young