i will never understand Fender...

allmyrivalsallmyrivals Posts: 228
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i can't get around the idea of buying a Fender guitar. there is just no balls to them....i play Paul Reed Smith and Gibsons. they have never let me down with anything from live to the studio. always fat and tonnes of tone ....i believe fender was made for blues and thats about it, i've tried playing a strat and theres just no magic. i also play with a guy who loves fender ...the conversation is always fun LOL.
EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
WHAAHYEAH!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    You made a thread just to state your opinion. Ok, you don't 'understand' Fender. What exactly are you asking or trying to get across to the people who read this? Unless you have a question or something this thread is very pointless.

And you say "I can get around to the idea...", you mean you can't?

(I don't mean to be rude, I am just stating facts and asking questions here.)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • allmyrivalsallmyrivals Posts: 228
    You made a thread just to state your opinion. Ok, you don't 'understand' Fender. What exactly are you asking or trying to get across to the people who read this? Unless you have a question or something this thread is very pointless.

And you say "I can get around to the idea...", you mean you can't?

(I don't mean to be rude, I am just stating facts and asking questions here.)
    well i guess my question is ...why do you choose the guitar that you play? the choice i made was cause of reasons stated above.
    the ppl that play fender guitars ......what style of music are you most using them for ?
    EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
    WHAAHYEAH!!
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    well i guess my question is ...why do you choose the guitar that you play? the choice i made was cause of reasons stated above.
    the ppl that play fender guitars ......what style of music are you most using them for ?

I did not choose the guitar that I play, my mom got it for me for christmas a few years ago.

My next guitar will either be acoustic or a Fender Strat. why? Acoustic I simply like because you don't have to worry about fx and eq and all that crap, you just play. Strat because I want to sound like Mike, and that is his main ax. Also from what I hear Fender Strats are very versatile guitars (five pup positions.)

all of that just kind of came out of my ass.

Edit, my guitar is an Ibanez GAX 50 electric in cherry red
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    ford vs. chevy blah blah blah.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I play a 72 tele delux reissue.

I play stuff like Guided by Voices, Wilco, Pearl jam, Ryan Adams (mainly the RnR and Love is Hell stuff) Weezer, Tom Petty, etc.

I think it handles this type of music just fine. (post punk, alternative, alt country, rock)

I love my Fender.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    Most of my songs are pretty punky (power chordy) and simple, my Tele HS does this great. The neck position sounds as smooth as any Les paul slash ever played (59 humbucker).

I think fender makes as good guitars as Gibson, and the best fenders are just as good as any PRS guitar, although admittedly much harder to find. SO on average PRS may be higher quality, but a guitar being fender does not guarantee a shit guitar.

Also with squire fender brings decent guitars to kids with low income, and thats really cool in my books.

I think you need to play a custom tele with 2 humbuckers, or a fat strat. This comment is not from experience, but I bet a PRS with 3 single coils sounds pretty similar to a standard strat.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I humbly disagree with your observation/experience.

A Les Paul and PRS guitars are both mahogany body/neck with a maple cap. OF COURSE they are going to sound different than alder or ash bodied guitars with maple necks. Plus, they are bolt on vs. set neck, and single coil vs. humbucker. It's like comparing a Harley to a Kawasaki crotch rocket.

Having said that, If you know what you're doing, a Fender Telecaster is the final word in electric guitar. Can you pick 'em up, plug in, and go? Sure, but your tone will not be anywhere near what it could be if that guitar isn't set up for street fighting. I'd put a "correct" telecaster up against anything, and the tele would kick its ass.

I'd like to qualify this statement with three words. Led Zeppelin I.

Oh, and I play McInturff guitars...not a Tele in sight here for over 5 years. That is really a crime.
  • Bart138Bart138 Posts: 37
    For the price of a bottom end PRS or LP, you can buy a very nice Tele or Strat, get it profesionally set up, and hot rod it with whatever you want. As far as Fenders not being able to handle heavy music, the tones of Rage Against the Machine, Iron Maiden, and early PJ are all heavily reliant on Fenders (Strats, mostly).
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:
    ford vs. chevy blah blah blah.

Indeed.

A lot of players go thru the same thing as you... they try out Fenders, find out they don't have that heavy, full sound they want. So they get a Gibson or equivalent. Then, after a few years of playing, they realize that nobody can hear what they're playing because Gibson and Gibson-style guitars are terribly muddy, and they go looking at Strats and Teles with open eyes.

Me, I have an Explorer and Tele with humbuckers, a Tele with P-90's, and am working on a Tele/Strat hybrid. I have uses for all four guitars, and love all four very much. You just have to know what different guitars will do. Also, you have to know what you can force certain guitars to do despite they're reputation...

And no Gibson could ever sound fatter than a '72 Tele Deluxe.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BlindMelonadeBlindMelonade Posts: 327
    Gibson have been putting out just plain crap nowadays...That's why I go fender....or Gibson copies

It's getting to the point where gibson copies are better than actual new gibsons...Like Agile! check them out at http://www.rondomusic.net
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's getting to the point where gibson copies are better than actual new gibsons...Like Agile![/url]

Or Aria or Tokai. Much cheaper and arguably better quality. The Epiphone stuff, same story. If you really want to spend $2000 on a Gibson-style, go PRS.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Or Aria or Tokai. Much cheaper and arguably better quality. The Epiphone stuff, same story. If you really want to spend $2000 on a Gibson-style, go PRS.

PRS can eat my balls for 2k...especially when you can get a McInturff used for much less...or a Hamer...or a Heritage...or even a McNaught if you're lucky :)

Not a big PRS fan here...and it's a shame because they are local.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i have 4 fenders and most of the stuff i come up with is punk-ish. i really like fender guitars. i still havent bought a gibson cause i know id play one of my fenders. its all taste i assume.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Yeah,,, those Strats have nothing to them! That's why hardly any pro guitarist uses them! :D
    What's better? A bowl of mashed potatoes or a bowl of ice cream? To me they're both good, but different things.

(ok,,,, well, Ice Cream!)
    My favorite guitar is a Strat, or something like it. It's so expressive. You can rock out, you can get a nice clear bell tone. It's more work to play a Strat though,,,, they tend to show all your mistakes so you have to concentrate on your technique. You can't be a lazy guitar player and sound good on a Strat. Maybe it doesn't grind like a Les Paul, but if all music had guitars grinding like a Paul, it'd be boring to me.

Speaking of Les Paul,,,,,, I'm going up to see him in New York tonight! He's going to be 90 and he still is amazing.
    I don't think I'd ever buy a new Gibson. That's a messed up company now. Heritage make a great guitar.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Yngwie_Malmsteen_3_03_5.jpg

Lol sorry just kidding.. I couldn't resist :D
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Yngwie_Malmsteen_3_03_5.jpg

Lol sorry just kidding.. I couldn't resist :D

Ok, well, sometimes hard work isn't all it's cracked up to be! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I just bought an Agile...wow does it rock. Everyone go get one now. You can get a really quality guitar for 300 bucks. Not to mention all the crazy models they have
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • SteveMurraySteveMurray Posts: 66
    i need both the strat sound and the les paul sound, i cant play just one of them for weeks/months at a time.

For me personally I find mixing it up between the two different types of guitars is a great way to inspire new song ideas.
  • isisisis Posts: 34
    I don't know that much about guitars and I'm not that good at playing them either.

Anyway I like playing and wanted a new guitar to upgrade my squier.

So I walked into a shop a tried a few guitars. I first tried an american strat. It sounded good, the feeling was similar to my sqiuer strat (which I like).

Then I tried a gibson les paul and WOW it sounded... well... somptuous plus it was a beauty... I was really impressed, even too much.

I was prepearing to face a strat/les paul dilemma and then, just before leaving, I picked up a Jazzmaster and it was simply colorful. There is not another word.

I ended up buying a japanese jaguar and totally love it. It just feels like the guitar for me. Maybe a little odd but... me

At the end of the story it's not so much about how it sounds or how it looks, it's more about how it fits yourself. Like deciding to go out with someone.

I'm not very technical and not very original, I know.

I just couldn't shut up.

Love
    I don't want to hear from those who know
  • BlissedBlissed Posts: 2
    I use any guitar that sounds good on my system. You can fix a bad guitar byusing a great system if you do it properly.