Do Mike and Stone use power chords or bar? chords

57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'll use Hail Hail as an example.

The tabs on this site have them using G5 A#5 etc.

When you watch them play songs like Hail,Hail live, it seems that they play the whole barre chord.

Know what I mean?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pariahpariah Posts: 596
    On Hail, Hail they most certainly use complete chords, that version should be on http://www.giventowail.com.

For other songs, I think it varies for each song and version (live/studio etc.), they don't use one kind all the time. I'm afraid that's as much clarity as I can give. :o
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Not to sound snooty, but it doesn't make much difference, especially on overdriven/distorted chords. A power chord is just a simplified version of a barre chord, and it really depends on how many tones and overtones you want in the voicing. If you want it to be more driving, play the first three strings. If you want it to be more harmonically rich, play the whole thing. I play a lot of barre and power chords (I'm a perpetual rhythm player) but even when I play a power chord, I usually finger the entire barre chord and just strum the first two or three strings. Then if you want a Pete Townshend windmill chord, you can just chug-chug-CLANG!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • God's Dice for example is power chords all the fucking way. Damn' right! Love that song :D
  • Power chords are amazing. They give average guitar players the ability to write great songs. I have a friend that thinks they're the devil, he is also a crazy conservative traditionalist that loves the queen. Anyway I like em. Some songs like SOLAT on an acoustic sound like a different song with power chords and need full bar chords to reach their capacity as a wicked song. I play hail hail with power chords because it sounds pretty wicked that way when distorted the right amount. I might try and pick up the actual chords for it in the next couple weeks but I remember when I just started playing guitar they seemed pretty difficult.

Anyway, yay for power chords!!!!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day