Mike and Stone's amp breakdown....How do you get their tone?

57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
First off, let me say this. There is no way to possible to sound exactly like somebody else whether it's recordings or live. It's impossible.

Ok. I don't know much about recordings, but I have a good guess for live shows.

Ten tour. It had to be either 50W or 100W JCM800's. That's gotta be it for the both of them.

Vs. tour. Not sure what Mike was using, but I think Stone might have used a Peavey Classic 50. I've read that he did use one at some time.

Vitalogy tour. I think this is where Stone switched to the Matchless DC30 combo. Mike was using a Marshall or a Matchless HC30 head. Not sure which Marshall.

No Code tour. Stone was Matchless DC30 all the way. I think Mike had his 1968 JMP50 by this time, but he also had a Matchless HC30 on stage.

Yield tour. Stone used the DC30 for Auzzie and then switched to a Savage Blitz 50. The Blitz 50 was originally based on the Marshall JTM45/Bluesbreaker, but it's a very versatile amp and is its own beast. Mike was all JMP50 marshall for his dirty tones. I think this tour and 2000 was the best he ever sounded. Listen to his Immortality solos. Outstanding.

Binaural. Stone had Peavey Delta Blues 2x10's on the stage, but I think he might have still used the Blitz 50. Mike was also JMP50 all the way again. he sounded great again. My favorite solo by Mike of all time was on this tour. Garden from Milan. Wow! Nice fat Marshall tone. I think he used a Savage Blitz 50 also for some clean tones.

Riot Act. Both used Trentinos. I think Stone sounded his best on this tour. Something with the strat and trentino really worked. His rhythm parts on Spin the black circle, DTE, Once, Get Right were pretty righteous. I wasn't particularly crazy about Mike's tone this tour. I think he used the trem or univibe a little too much.

As you can see, Mike's 98 and 2000 lead tones, and Stone's 03 rhythm tones were my favorites.

As far as recordings, Hail Hail, In Hiding, All those Yesterdays, Save You, have got to be some of my favorite recorded tones.

Here is what I'm after:

What do you guys use to get in the ball park of Hail Hail? I've never heard anything like the SAve YOu intro. How do you get close with that?

I actually busted out Back in Black today. That record has rhythm tones that are pretty similar to some PJ stuff. Especially No Code, Yield, and Riot ACT.

Wow, I think I need a nap now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    57Goldtop wrote:
    First off, let me say this. There is no way to possible to sound exactly like somebody else whether it's recordings or live. It's impossible.

Ok. I don't know much about recordings, but I have a good guess for live shows.

Ten tour. It had to be either 50W or 100W JCM800's. That's gotta be it for the both of them.

Vs. tour. Not sure what Mike was using, but I think Stone might have used a Peavey Classic 50. I've read that he did use one at some time.

Vitalogy tour. I think this is where Stone switched to the Matchless DC30 combo. Mike was using a Marshall or a Matchless HC30 head. Not sure which Marshall.

No Code tour. Stone was Matchless DC30 all the way. I think Mike had his 1968 JMP50 by this time, but he also had a Matchless HC30 on stage.

Yield tour. Stone used the DC30 for Auzzie and then switched to a Savage Blitz 50. The Blitz 50 was originally based on the Marshall JTM45/Bluesbreaker, but it's a very versatile amp and is its own beast. Mike was all JMP50 marshall for his dirty tones. I think this tour and 2000 was the best he ever sounded. Listen to his Immortality solos. Outstanding.

Binaural. Stone had Peavey Delta Blues 2x10's on the stage, but I think he might have still used the Blitz 50. Mike was also JMP50 all the way again. he sounded great again. My favorite solo by Mike of all time was on this tour. Garden from Milan. Wow! Nice fat Marshall tone. I think he used a Savage Blitz 50 also for some clean tones.

Riot Act. Both used Trentinos. I think Stone sounded his best on this tour. Something with the strat and trentino really worked. His rhythm parts on Spin the black circle, DTE, Once, Get Right were pretty righteous. I wasn't particularly crazy about Mike's tone this tour. I think he used the trem or univibe a little too much.

As you can see, Mike's 98 and 2000 lead tones, and Stone's 03 rhythm tones were my favorites.

As far as recordings, Hail Hail, In Hiding, All those Yesterdays, Save You, have got to be some of my favorite recorded tones.

Here is what I'm after:

What do you guys use to get in the ball park of Hail Hail? I've never heard anything like the SAve YOu intro. How do you get close with that?

I actually busted out Back in Black today. That record has rhythm tones that are pretty similar to some PJ stuff. Especially No Code, Yield, and Riot ACT.

Wow, I think I need a nap now.

Blitz 50
    Aiken Intruder
    Germino Classic or Lead

Or any Plexi clone will get you in the territory, then all you need are Stone's and Mike's hands :)

There is a nice thread on thegearpage.net that covers this pretty well.
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81091
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • 57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    Do you think that intro on "Save You" is a Marshall plexi type tone?

It's funny to see the amps the guys have used recently for these live shows. Vox AC-30, Peavey Delta Blues etc.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The Blitz 50 is the truth. I bought mine because of his tone...and it was worth it.
  • 57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    What about one of those 18 watt Marshalls that everybody and their mothers seem to be building?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    57Goldtop wrote:
    What about one of those 18 watt Marshalls that everybody and their mothers seem to be building?

An 18 watt will break up at very low vol. If you want cleans then you should look at something with more balls. The 18 watt forum is a great place to go for info on 18s, they have a great tone, but it has to be what you are looking for.
    Check out the Marwatt by DST, fantastic 18 watter :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Savage actually has some low wattage amps that are pretty cool too.

The Macht 6 and 12 even have a tremolo.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.