I stand corrected....the boys sound pretty crappy this tour

57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've just listened to Montana and Winnipeg so far. None of this will matter when I see them live, but all three guitar players sound pretty bad tone wise.

Stone sounds like he is using some type of solid state amp. I think he is using a pedal for distortion. He sounds very similar to 2000. Why would a guy who owns or has access to a Trentino, Matchless DC30, Savage Blitz or Glas 30, vintage Marshalls/Fenders/Voxes use a Peavey? It makes no sense. I could understand if it sounded good.

Mike sounds very thin. I think he peaked in 98 and 00. Very thick vintage marshall sound on his solos with the LP. Now it's just thin and whimpy.

Ed's tweed deluxes sound ok on some songs, but I much prefer the schecter/P90 sg through the Hiwatt.

That's all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    57Goldtop wrote:
    I've just listened to Montana and Winnipeg so far. None of this will matter when I see them live, but all three guitar players sound pretty bad tone wise.

Stone sounds like he is using some type of solid state amp. I think he is using a pedal for distortion. He sounds very similar to 2000. Why would a guy who owns or has access to a Trentino, Matchless DC30, Savage Blitz or Glas 30, vintage Marshalls/Fenders/Voxes use a Peavey? It makes no sense. I could understand if it sounded good.

Mike sounds very thin. I think he peaked in 98 and 00. Very thick vintage marshall sound on his solos with the LP. Now it's just thin and whimpy.

Ed's tweed deluxes sound ok on some songs, but I much prefer the schecter/P90 sg through the Hiwatt.

That's all.

Mike was thin last tour too. Stone should either go back to the Blitz 50 or even a JCM 800.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 57Goldtop wrote:

That's all.

where did you get the Montana show?
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • I meant to say Gorge, not Montana
  • mike sounds great IMO...although blues style is not my way, i love his tone

stones tone...eh hes using the same 2 peavy amps he used during the 2000 tour....hes using a 50s style tele now for even flow which is wierd and using a les paul on save you, i dont get it....

eds tone is horrible, i have to say, i cannot stand it...but his voice rules!!

but again i think mike sounds great!! :D best he has since 98/00
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • ed should just drink wine,sing,make long rambling speeches that cut into the setlist and let the other two handle the guitar playing.....
  • the unseen wrote:
    ed should just drink wine,sing,make long rambling speeches that cut into the setlist and let the other two handle the guitar playing.....

no not at all, ed is great when he plays guitar, a lot of energy....not for you, lukin, grievance, in my tree, etc etc wouldnt sound right without him
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • of course, it's all opinion...

Stone sounds a ton better than he did in 2003 and 2004...finally has a thick sound that rocks. I agree that he has sounded better in the past, but he's definitely taken a HUGE step forward!

Mike's tone is great...although it was thinner than in the past (BD-2s have this effect when using a strat). I noticed this quite a bit in Winnipeg, yet in Thunder Bay his tone was to die for. Honestly, best i've heard his tone...ever. It was gorgeous, rockin when needed and bluesy when it was time to make us all cry....superb.

Ed.......YES! not sure what you're talkin about HHV?!?!....i think Ed sounds great. The tweeds sound great...thick and dirty when needed (not for you, grievance, corduroy)...and clean and sparkling on songs like MFC; nice change-up Ed!

I've seen the guys play on each of the last 3 tours and they are HANDS DOWN not only sounding the best but also playing the best. Matt is a freaking animal on the skins!!!...such a solid drummer and he's playing with more passion and creativity than ever. And don't get me started on Ed's voice...somehow over time his voice has gotten better (what brand of smokes does that for ya? :))

let's just remember not to go by what you hear on bootlegs. HailHail said that he didn't notice their tone being bad live, yet does on the boots. This probably has something to do with the fact that while seeing them in person...their tone is STUNNING...and people hearing mp3s that are recorded and mixed differently than past bootlegs don't get the full effect.

Go see them live and see if you have much to complain about!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • of course, it's all opinion...

Stone sounds a ton better than he did in 2003 and 2004...finally has a thick sound that rocks. I agree that he has sounded better in the past, but he's definitely taken a HUGE step forward!

Mike's tone is great...although it was thinner than in the past (BD-2s have this effect when using a strat). I noticed this quite a bit in Winnipeg, yet in Thunder Bay his tone was to die for. Honestly, best i've heard his tone...ever. It was gorgeous, rockin when needed and bluesy when it was time to make us all cry....superb.

Ed.......YES! not sure what you're talkin about HHV?!?!....i think Ed sounds great. The tweeds sound great...thick and dirty when needed (not for you, grievance, corduroy)...and clean and sparkling on songs like MFC; nice change-up Ed!

I've seen the guys play on each of the last 3 tours and they are HANDS DOWN not only sounding the best but also playing the best. Matt is a freaking animal on the skins!!!...such a solid drummer and he's playing with more passion and creativity than ever. And don't get me started on Ed's voice...somehow over time his voice has gotten better (what brand of smokes does that for ya? :))

let's just remember not to go by what you hear on bootlegs. HailHail said that he didn't notice their tone being bad live, yet does on the boots. This probably has something to do with the fact that while seeing them in person...their tone is STUNNING...and people hearing mp3s that are recorded and mixed differently than past bootlegs don't get the full effect.

Go see them live and see if you have much to complain about!

well i have to say

yes mikes tone is brilliant, the best ive heard of his
    stone's is better than the 2003/2004 tour
    ed....oh ed....its not that i didnt notice it at the show, its just that i didnt care and didnt pay attention ( i did notice mikes though!)....and i really liked it at the gorge for the acoustic set, but for some songs his tone sounds great for, and others its horrible....listen to Lukin from Vancouver, ahhh.....i did love his tone in 2004, but 2003 was great too....2 totally different sounds....SG to hiwatt, Tele to hiwatt....

and yes the mixing does have something to do with it.....live they sound like they have more "BALLS"...haha
    im thinking about getting a BD-2 just cuz mike is my idol and i love that tone, haha, hes also back on the Plexi
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's a modded BD-2 though. so be careful.
  • exhausted wrote:
    it's a modded BD-2 though. so be careful.

whats the mod?
    it's robert keeley's BD-2.

http://robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14

a brilliant pedal. i should not have sold mine.
    exhausted wrote:
    it's robert keeley's BD-2.

http://robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14

a brilliant pedal. i should not have sold mine.

I would be unhappy too, but I upgraded to BJF. :D

It's an awesome, very versatile pedal, It sounded excellent through my amp and vintage 30, It should sound fantastic in a Traynor and V30. Go used, save a few bucks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • anyone who says mikeys tone is bad is crazy, i think it is awsome, its sounds so much more musical than in past tours, liten to the Crazy mary solo and his guitar in Indifference, his cleans and distortion sound alot more sophisticated now, any one know what he's using?
  • I don't think you can really critically differentiate the tone on the boots.
    Ed pulled out a couple of tele's in winnipeg I havn't seen before. One All black and the other blonde, black pick guard.
  • Listen to Mike's tone during the 1998 tour on songs like Immortality, Black, and Even Flow. It sounds great and those aren't the best souning boots.

My favorite Mike tone is from 2000 during the Italy show when they played Garden. Best LP tone from him in a while.
  • How's Jeff's tone? Brilliant as usual? My favortite part of Pearl Jam is the bass and vocals. (no offense to the guitarists out there) I love how they have the bass up in the mix but not too overbearing and Jeff's smooth playing and tone is amazing. At least on the live CD's and DVD's I have. I've never seen pearl Jam live before. I swear no matter how many times I listen to Penn state (the one with Release at the beginning) I can't get sick of it. Now I can't listen to the studio CD's anymore I need the live stuff. I see that there are Latin America tour dates. Are they adding anymore U.S. dates after that? Preferably Los Angeles?
    Thanks
    Rawk On!
    Joe
    ps The guitar solo in Curdory is amazing on that CD.
    www.39reasons.com
    www.myspace.com/39reasons
    www.myspace.com/joebassman
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    i think mikes tone sounds great atm. i agree about stone though, why use a peavey???

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • The guitars sounded pretty good to me tonight. It's hard to get three guitars playing and make them all sound unique and cut through the mix. I think they're doing a pretty good job at that. :)
  • Yea I wasnt too impressed with the sound last night in Kitchener last night, you could only really make out Mike. But tonight was a whole different story. The whole thing just sounded amazing! And Stone gave it his all (for a change). hehe

Pity about those girls who opened for them.. they're sound is simply shocking..
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....

• Pity about those girls who opened for them.. they're sound is simply shocking..

HAHA! It's true, people were looking around at each other just like WTF?
  • I think Stone's best tone was in 2000. I haven't heard any recordings of the new tour, except given to fly on MTV, but if stone's sound is anything like that, it's a hell of a lot better than 2003. Listening to the intro to DTE on 03 is painful. The amp Stone's using isn't solid state, it's a 30 class A tube amp. Both Stone and Mike have used pedal distortion/overdrive all over the years. Yes, the amp is Peavey, but there must be something sounding good in it, if Stone's using it. I've played one myself, and I think it's pretty good if you ask me, and I generally don't like Peavey amps, except for the classic series. I think Mike used one before as well.. Benaroya maybe? anyway.
    I think Eddie's best tone was from 2000, with the Hiwatt dr504, Johnny Ramone's 100 watt greenback Marshall cab, and the Schecter PT's. It was so raunchy, and distinctive from Mike and Stone. Next best was probably his sound from the VFC tour. I absolutely hated the early 2003 stuff and the showbox where Eddie was just running his amp clean. Barf.
    Mike has always managed to sound good for some reason, no matter what he's using. He has a bunch of different flavours going on though. I really liked his tone from 98 and 2000, 2000 in particular was really creamy.
    Jeff sounded pretty much the same in 98 and 2000, and judging from the vfc bootlegs, and the GTF thing on mtv, he sounds pretty much the same now as 2003, only a little darker now that he's using the Ampeg 610's instead of the SWR's.
    I pretty much agree, stones Savage Blitz 50 is by far my favorite sounding amp he's used. Ed sounded fantastic with the schecters, I haven't liked it all that much (save the SG JR on "Gimme Some Truth") since. I love tweed deluxes but I haven't heard his sound on this tour yet. That hiwatt sounded spectacular overdriven though the well broken in greenbacks.

The BD-2 should fatten Mikey up a bit which is really what he needed in the current setup. I like the old marshalls with the matchless tone best. I'd love to see Mike, go with a germanium fuzz pedal live sometimes SRV style Diaz Square Face or something similar (ANALOGMAN SUN LION HINT HINT MIKE)
  • I was in London last night. I thought that Mike, and Stones tones sounded good. But Eds was the pour one. Of course I've never really been into Eds guitar tone.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I pretty much agree, stones Savage Blitz 50 is by far my favorite sounding amp he's used. Ed sounded fantastic with the schecters, I haven't liked it all that much (save the SG JR on "Gimme Some Truth") since. I love tweed deluxes but I haven't heard his sound on this tour yet. That hiwatt sounded spectacular overdriven though the well broken in greenbacks.

The BD-2 should fatten Mikey up a bit which is really what he needed in the current setup. I like the old marshalls with the matchless tone best. I'd love to see Mike, go with a germanium fuzz pedal live sometimes SRV style Diaz Square Face or something similar (ANALOGMAN SUN LION HINT HINT MIKE)

if you would like send me a PM and ill talk to you on AIM or MSN messenger and ill send you Lukin/Grievance from Vancouver....ed's tone is god awful this tour

like i said my favorite tone of Ed was 2003....2004 too....2000 was good as well but to me ed, mike, and stone all had fat tones so it sounded a bit odd i guess you would say
    if you would like send me a PM and ill talk to you on AIM or MSN messenger and ill send you Lukin/Grievance from Vancouver....ed's tone is god awful this tour

like i said my favorite tone of Ed was 2003....2004 too....2000 was good as well but to me ed, mike, and stone all had fat tones so it sounded a bit odd i guess you would say

the open back deluxes being tweeds are much looser than the big 4x12 and they break up much sooner, so it could be that Ed is just a bit muddier this tour and maybe it dosen't fit the mix as well as in the past. I will have to PM you and hear that stuff. Thanks.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    the open back deluxes being tweeds are much looser than the big 4x12 and they break up much sooner, so it could be that Ed is just a bit muddier this tour and maybe it dosen't fit the mix as well as in the past. I will have to PM you and hear that stuff. Thanks.

no, sadly it's thin and plinky. it's just not there. there's no mud. there's no bass at all.

i'll add that this didn't detract from the show. and in fact, leaves more room for stone and mike's guitars.
    exhausted wrote:
    no, sadly it's thin and plinky. it's just not there. there's no mud. there's no bass at all.

i'll add that this didn't detract from the show. and in fact, leaves more room for stone and mike's guitars.

How does that happen? Me thinks these guys are not recording or writing or spending much time toegther. Back in 2000 (as in 1994 Vitalogy) the guitar sound was cohesive and tight. Kind of sad if that's not the case all the way around. I guess I mostly listen to Mike and Stone anyhow.

At the end of the day Pearl Jam is Pearl Jam. I wouldn't expect it to detract.
    no, the band itself is really tight. i just don't think this is the rig for ed.
  • exhausted wrote:
    no, the band itself is really tight. i just don't think this is the rig for ed.

thats exactly it...go back to the hiwatt!!!
  • I heard a few bootlegs last night, and to me Ed's tone isn't THAT bad this tour, it's sure as hell better than the showbox type clean sound he was using for the big rocker songs like.. breakerfall, lukin/not for you, etc. but it's nowhere as good as 2000. you can tell he's using a smaller amp, and his tone simply sounded bigger with the hiwatt. The way the amp is miced has a lot to do with how it sounds on the recordings as well. But the majority of it is the amp. all in all.. it's half decent. bottom line.. bring back the hiwatt. ha ha