Did stone get a new strat?

57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
It doesn't look like Mike's maple board strat.

http://pearljam.com/i/tourphotos/20060629/1.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I havent seen it before. Damn beat up sunburst/maple strats are sexy though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • read below, i decided to go into massive detail because im a strat nerd and love to know.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • ok, i looked into it. Its from the june 1964 or earlier. This is for a few reasons:

the "thick gold transition logo" did not appear on strat headstocks untill midway through 1964. This stratocaster has that logo, thus proving it is newer than 1964.

the headstock shape alone is the original "thin" shape. this means its prior to 1965 when they went to the "huge/jumbo" size that you woudl see hendrix playing. thus proving again this is pre 65/64.

if we can determine if the pickgaurd is single ply white (prior to 59), or w/b/w (post 59) we can see if it is a strat from 54-59, or from 59-64. Also pickgaurd prior to 65 used a different material which they no longer use (they brign it back for the custom shop models now though) the strats form 65 on yellow, the prior ones stay mainly white and get a bit of a green tinge. as you can see this strat stone is playing has not yellowed, not has the pickup covers. so AGAIN it is prior to 65.

in 1957 fender changed from bakelite (not actually that material but its what people refer it to) for tone/volume knobs and p/u covers. This material was brittle, and stayed white (did not yellow) after 57 they switched to abs and that does yellow. again on custom shop models they are using old materials but this guitar obviously is NOT one of those. because of stone's knobs (assuimg they are original)

this strat is pre 57, and has the evidence to prove it. Good on stone for finding it, and hats off for him bringing it to play. I wonder if mike is jelous? but he has a 58 and a 59 to keep him happy. Well, i geuss thats my strat genious again.

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Yeah I saw that but didn't say anything.

It's gorgeous!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I don't recall seeing it at any of the shows on Leg 1 but saw stone use it in St. Paul.

Evidentally Stone goes shopping during their tour breaks :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Thing what those boys have that we never see, that only gets pulled out at home or in the studio.

I'm thinking a dvd of the making of "Pearl Jam" or any future album would be awesome. Have George take us thru all the gear. A track for Mike, a track for Stone, a Track for Jeff, a Track for Ed, a track for Matt and what the heck a track for Boom too.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • 57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    I don't recall seeing it at any of the shows on Leg 1 but saw stone use it in St. Paul.

Evidentally Stone goes shopping during their tour breaks :)

What song did he use it for in St. Paul?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Love the name 57.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • 57Goldtop wrote:
    What song did he use it for in St. Paul?
    Army Reserve is when I first noticed it.

I didn't notice it on any other songs, but then again I was 4th row in front of McCready so that's where most of my attention was focused :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If that strat is pre-57, it could be worth well over $80k
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    im pretty sure it is a 57. my uncles got one( locked up, of course) and i had the amazing privilage of playing it last year, and holy shit!!!!!!!! it was the best thing i had ever heard
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • enharmonic wrote:
    If that strat is pre-57, it could be worth well over $80k

yeah, after an examination udner the pickgaurd of course, the body however...little rough. But if this is all orginal down to wiring, the body wouldn;t matter.

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    There was a thread like this at giventowail's forums as well. The consensus there is that Stone is playing Mike's '58 Strat. Just thought I'd share.
  • moster78 wrote:
    There was a thread like this at giventowail's forums as well. The consensus there is that Stone is playing Mike's '58 Strat. Just thought I'd share.

absolutely not!

absolutely not!

Don't shoot the messenger man. Just passing along their thoughts. What makes you say no? Mike does have a 58 Strat with the maple fretboard (at least according to GTW). Trust me, I'm not confusing it with his 59 (the Even Flow, YLB axe of choice).
  • moster78 wrote:
    Don't shoot the messenger man. Just passing along their thoughts. What makes you say no? Mike does have a 58 Strat with the maple fretboard (at least according to GTW). Trust me, I'm not confusing it with his 59 (the Even Flow, YLB axe of choice).

yeah i read the forum, they just jumped to conclusion, mikes strat's body isnt as beat up as stones. Also mikes 58's plastic is yellowed alot, you see it alot in live at teh garden, or TB2k, i forget which one, but yeah, just from watchign alot of vid's i know its not the same, but definately similar.

yeah i read the forum, they just jumped to conclusion, mikes strat's body isnt as beat up as stones. Also mikes 58's plastic is yellowed alot, you see it alot in live at teh garden, or TB2k, i forget which one, but yeah, just from watchign alot of vid's i know its not the same, but definately similar.

Cool. Understood. I guess they need someone like you over there to provide the deep analysis and set them straight.