Guitar Tunings

(:Smile:)(:Smile:) Posts: 117
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm no professional with guitars and I haven't been experimenting with guitar tunings until recently I wanted to learn one tune by the band Low, and had to tune the guitar differently. I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting the guitar sounded and was wondering if you would tell some other interesting guitar tunings other than standart.

?
The man they call my enemy, I've seen his eyes
He looks just like me, a mirror

The more you read, we've been deceived
Everyday it becomes clearer,...

Clearer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rickprickp Posts: 219
    This might prove useful to you:

http://www.giventowail.com/new/tabs/tunings.php
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    DADGAD is may favorite alternate tuning. Such a cool sound. Listen to White Summer/Black Mountainside to hear it put to good use.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I've always wanted to try some Queens of the Stone Age tunings, where they drop like everything a full two steps. I wonder how loose the strings really get at that point.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    moster78 wrote:
    I've always wanted to try some Queens of the Stone Age tunings, where they drop like everything a full two steps. I wonder how loose the strings really get at that point.

Not too bad if you're using 12's.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    enharmonic wrote:
    Not too bad if you're using 12's.

I'm using 10's. Next time I'm bored I'll give it a shot.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    DADGAD is may favorite alternate tuning. Such a cool sound. Listen to White Summer/Black Mountainside to hear it put to good use.

Sounds just awesome on an acoustic.

I also like tuneing normal but tuneing the High E string down one octave to match the octave of the low E.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    there is a book called alternate guitar tunings, look it up on Amazon, it is fantastic!
    Tunings open doors, and allow you to play songs the way they were intended to. PJ is one band that loves alternate tunings, and it is nice to have a couple guitars so you don't have to keep going back and forth.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • See the thread "Alternate tunings" that I just bumped.
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

Yeah man i love this one, I can't play either of these like Page but the still sound aswesome. Have you tried the rain song tuning DGCGCD also awesome. Apart from those two I love Open G on electric w/ a slide and Open D on acoustic