complete novice...... U got any suggetsions

jojojojo Posts: 645
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to learn to play the guitar and have for a long time (even before I found PJ) where do I start.
I have an acoustic yamaha that is pretty nice but I'm pretty sure it's not in tune.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanx
Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jojo wrote:
    I want to learn to play the guitar and have for a long time (even before I found PJ) where do I start.
    I have an acoustic yamaha that is pretty nice but I'm pretty sure it's not in tune.
    Thanx

A tuner? That's a start and soon you'll be tuning it by ear(the use of your hearing that is). Enjoy. Guitar's good fun.
    scottish by birth, british by law and 'weegie by the grace of god...!!!!! FUCK THE QUEEN!!!
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    and once youre ready head to http://www.giventowail.com and check out all the great tabs !
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    jojo wrote:
    Thanx

There's a bunch of starter packs available with some good deals. I would recommend starting here first:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/content/doc_id=97930/c_ha=1
  • One thing that helped me was trying to play along with live albums instead of studio ones, which often have alot of overdubbing and are the result of dozens of takes. Just hearing the guitarist at a show, and how he plays the song night after night may keep you from being discouraged because you can;t play along with the immaculate studio album. I got Live at Leeds (The Who), Testament (Ozzy with Randy on guitar), and an older AC/DC live album, with Bon Scott. These are all in standard tuning, so you won't have to worry about tuning your guitar down.
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Sorry, forget my post. I thought you were looking for a guitar to start with.