Did I get a good deal?

DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
This is my first electric guitar (although I've been playing acoustic for a couple of years). I knew I wanted a Telecaster (tried it and LOVED it) but was set on the Mexican Standard because I didn't want to spend a fortune on someting better and I'm not that great anyway - until I found a 2005 Highway One for $499. It has a few shallow belt scratches on the back that I was told could buff out. I jumped and bought it. It was actually on an ebay action and didn't get any bids. Now I'm thinking I made a mistake. Did I do the right thing? What do you guys think?

http://www.southernguitars.com/hwyone.jpg
I smile, but who am I kidding...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I hear the guitar is great, and I doubt you made a mistake. And honestly, I personally couldn't care less about a few scratches on a guitar (unless it's an elaborate quilt top or something). Did the seller have a high rating?

Seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I actually didn't buy it through eBay (I called the guy's store and placed the order via phone), but he does have like a 99.6% feedback rating. I don't mind the scratches either, back in the late '80's when I started playing bass I had a '72 P-bass that looked like it had been through hell but I loved it. It's one of those deals where I've been saving for this thing forever and finally pulled the trigger - I guess I'm having post-purchase doubt or something. Thanks for the reassurance!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I bid on my Strat with 5 seconds left on the auction and now it's my child. Pulling the trigger isn't always a bad thing.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • dcjdcj Posts: 7
    I've got a Highway 1 Stratocaster and love it.
    Sounds like you got a great guitar at a great price. Enjoy!
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Well, most belt buckle scratches typically aren't just simple surface scuffs, so generally they CAN'T just be buffed out. Most belt buckle scratches are usually into the lacquer a bit more than a surface scuff (you generally have to re-spray or re-flow those types of scratches). However, Highway-1 guitars aren't true nitrocellulose lacquer, so you can't do that anyway (they're actually made in Mexico and assembled here - it's not a real american made fender).

But who cares . . . who really sees the back of the guitar (but you). Anyway, the important thing is do you like it, and does it play well - there's nothing wrong with the Highway101 strats - end of story.

If you really want to know, the current 2006 blue book value on the guitar "in Excellent condition" is ($450-low end, and $475-high end) - granted this guitar isn't considered "in excellent condition" with belt buckle scratches, but as I said before, so what - it looks nice to me, and if it plays well, great.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • My son has a Mexican Strat and two different guys who own guitar shops told me that the mexican Fenders are very good quality for the money, and they weren't trying to sell me one.

I'd say you got a good deal. If you're happy with how it plays and how much you paid for it, you definately got a good deal.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    If you like the guitar you got a good deal. If you bought a First Act guitar, that plays like crap to most people, at Walmart for 1000 bucks and you love the way it plays and sounds then you got a good deal. The same goes the other way. If you bought a Gibson Les Paul for $50 and you hate playing it, then you got a bad deal.