Need some newbie-ish help...

DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to run my ipod through my combo amp along with my guitar so I can hear songs and my guitar at the same time through headphones (via my amps headphone output) for practice.

So, I went to Radio Shack last night and got a 1/8 cable which connects my iPod to a 1/4 inch adapter, which then goes into one of two inputs on a 1/4 inch "y" connector and into my amp (the guitar goes into the other input). Problem is, I can get either the iPod or the guitar through my amp but not both at the same time and I'm not sure why. Anyone have any ideas? I've checked online and can't find anything about it - other than it's a bad idea to play an iPod through a combo amp, so I guess my second question would be "can I hurt my amp if I play the iPod through it?"

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
I smile, but who am I kidding...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DeLukin wrote:
    I want to run my ipod through my combo amp along with my guitar so I can hear songs and my guitar at the same time through headphones (via my amps headphone output) for practice.

So, I went to Radio Shack last night and got a 1/8 cable which connects my iPod to a 1/4 inch adapter, which then goes into one of two inputs on a 1/4 inch "y" connector and into my amp (the guitar goes into the other input). Problem is, I can get either the iPod or the guitar through my amp but not both at the same time and I'm not sure why. Anyone have any ideas? I've checked online and can't find anything about it - other than it's a bad idea to play an iPod through a combo amp, so I guess my second question would be "can I hurt my amp if I play the iPod through it?"

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,

You won't hurt your amp by trying to play your iPod through it, but the sound will probably be all distorted if you try to turn the volume up so you can hear the iPod along with the guitar. The guitar input on an amp accepts a very low voltage, while the iPod either puts out a line level signal +4 bbv
    or consumer level -10dbv. If you have an effects loop, you might try plugging in the iPod on the return of the effects loop. I don't know what amp you have and you don't mention it, so I can't say if this next part will be correct. If you have two imputs on the amp for guitar, they are designed for guitars with different kinds of pickups. Input 1 is usually for guitars with normal passive pickups, and input 2 for guitars with hotter pickups or active pickups. You should be able to plug two guitars into the amp, and hear them both. I can on my Hot Rod Deluxe. Your amp may have a switching jack, so when you plug one guitar in, the other jack is turned off. Most amps nowadays have a CD input, little Marshalls have them, so you can plug in a CD player to jam with. If you tell us what kind of amp you have it will be easier to help you.

HTH

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Thanks for the quick response. It's a Fender 25R:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo?sku=480669

Now that you mention it, there is an "Aux In" input that should work, right? I am such an idiot...
  • DeLukin wrote:
    Thanks for the quick response. It's a Fender 25R:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo?sku=480669

Now that you mention it, there is an "Aux In" input that should work, right? I am such an idiot...

Hi,

I just looked at the ad on MF. I know this amp. You are right, the Aux In is for the CD. It has an RCA input, so unfortunately you may have to go back to RS for cable that has mini phono on one end and RCA on the other. You can also probably just get a phono to RCA adapter for the plug you already have. Don't be hard on yourself, you just overlooked something. If I had a nickel for everytime I overlooked something, I could retire.

all the best,

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Excellent. Thanks so much for the help. It's back to Radio Shack for me...
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    Hi,

I just looked at the ad on MF. I know this amp. You are right, the Aux In is for the CD. It has an RCA input, so unfortunately you may have to go back to RS for cable that has mini phono on one end and RCA on the other. You can also probably just get a phono to RCA adapter for the plug you already have. Don't be hard on yourself, you just overlooked something. If I had a nickel for everytime I overlooked something, I could retire.

all the best,

...pie

i purchased an rca>phono cable a while ago. i am finding new ways to use it all the time.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    ledhed43 wrote:
    i purchased an rca>phono cable a while ago. i am finding new ways to use it all the time.

I've used one for years to play music on my laptop through a decent stero amp and speakers, also use it to connect my Tascam CD trainer to stereo.
    Music is not a competetion.