Please don't laugh...

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
My new-found obscession with PJ'smusic has inspired me to learn guitar. I feel I am making real progress every day, but I have hit a major beginner roadblock:
How the "F" do I play the F major chord?
I know how the fingering goes, but I cant seem to play it.
Any suggestions?
Sorry to waste a thread. Im sure you are all at least a decade past that point.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• triple ctriple c Posts: 35
    i think thats the toughest for beginners to pick up. was for me.
    barre the 1 fret with your pointer and do like an e chord w/ the other 3.

im no teacher.....case ya cant tell
  • No problem.
    It's always the hardest chord for beginners to play. You need the most finger pressure to press down at the first fret, so it's physically the hardest.

Try fingering just the high four strings:
    E-1
    B-1
    G-2
    D-3
    A-X
    E-X
    But if you keep trying barre chords, your finger WILL strengthen eventually. Learn to barre with your index like that on the upper frets first and you will soon be able to stretch those fingers out more on the lower frets, where the spacing is larger.

You, and any guitarist would do well by learning to play all the open chords with your pinky, ring and middle finger, so that you can barre them anywhere. You'll eventually be able to play the Ab Barre like this:

E-4 with your pinky
    B-1
    G-1
    D-1
    A-3
    E-4
    Ouch!

When you're really stretched out, these will make the F chord look easy!
    Play these chords from this:
    E-5 pinky
    B-5 pinky
    G-3 middle
    D-x
    A-4 ring
    E-2 index

to this :
    E-5 Pinky
    B-5 Pinky
    G-2 middle
    D-X
    A-3 ring
    E-1 index
    You'd be amazed how far your fingers can stretch. I know some Jazz players with pretty small hands that can do amazing finger stretches.

The important thing is to warm up your fingers before you tackle the F chord
    Another VERY important thing to remember is to concentrate on using the minimum amount of finger pressure on the string as possible to make the notes ring. Players tend to get tense when they play and press harder than they need to,, thusly tiring the fingers out too fast, whether playing lead or chords

Have fun:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    E-1
    B-1
    G-2
    D-3
    A-X
    E-X

That would be my recommendation, as well.

e--1--index
    B--1--index
    G--2--middle
    D--3--ring
    A--X
    E--X

Try this next:

e--1--index
    B--1--index
    G--2--middle
    D--3--pinkie
    A--3--ring
    E--X

Once you've got that down, try barring the whole 1st fret with the index.

Alternate F chord:

e--X
    B--10--ring
    G--10--ring
    D--10--ring
    A--8---index
    E--X
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    E-5 pinky
    B-5 pinky
    G-3 middle
    D-x
    A-4 ring
    E-2 index

to this :
    E-5 Pinky
    B-5 Pinky
    G-2 middle
    D-X
    A-3 ring
    E-1 index

*Tries*
    *Tries harder, tongue out of mouth*
    *Succeeds*

AAAAAAH you son of a bitch that HURTS! They ARE cool chords though. Thanks :)

Any particular song those come from?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • i got tired of playing the f barre, so i improvised. try this. it sounds cool, and sometimes less is more.

e
    b - 1
    g - 2
    d - 3
    a
    E

That's it. sounds like F. Easy to switch to.
    the in between is mine
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Thanks everyone. I will try all these suggestions. Its gotta work sooner or later. My fingers are no different than anyone elses (well, maybe a little weaker at this point).
    Guess I better start fretting with my last 3 fingers to get ready to fly with the barres!
  • Originally posted by pariah
    *Tries*
    *Tries harder, tongue out of mouth*
    *Succeeds*

AAAAAAH you son of a bitch that HURTS! They ARE cool chords though. Thanks :)

Any particular song those come from?

A thousand songs! Those two chords are used as an ending to songs (Usually some sort of jazz or ballad.) Learn them in any key,,(play'm higher up on the fret board at first so your fingers don't come out of their sockets:eek:)

An F chord needs three notes,,, F,A,C. You don't really have to play all six strings every time you play a chord, and you'll find that in a band, less is more.

Like Cleverpj moniker says

e
    b - 1 (that's your C)
    g - 2 (that's your a
    d - 3 (the root=F)
    a
    E

That's an F chord as long as you're muting all the other strings.
    Play the low E on the first fret with your thumb, and you're adding another low F for some bass in the chord. (It's considered bad form to play with your thumb like that,,, but go ahead and do it:D)

Just for the hell of it because I'm waiting for a phone call,,,:
    e
    b - 1
    g - 2
    d - 3
    a
    E-x
    When you play that with all the strings ringing,,,(Mute the low F) you're playing an F major 7th. Take those three fingers and slide them up one fret,,, play that first,
    e
    b - 2
    g - 3
    d - 4
    a
    E-X
    then this:
    e
    b - 1
    g - 2
    d - 3
    a
    E-x

Voila! The end to a hundred more songs! Like "the girl from ipanema"

Off to work,, have a good one all.
    Be kind, man
  • Originally posted by Hitch-Hiker
    Ah memories :) F was a bitch.

Bb is never that fun either!:)
    Be kind, man

i hated learning F....infact, for a while i just gave up and played chords that didnt really work in it's place, but it's really not that hard all all....once you get the hang on it :)

i've been playing for over a year, and while i can make up solo's here and there, i've never attemped to learn barr chords or B....as i say my fingers are too small....im sure i could do it though, just need to be bothered to actually sit down and do it :D
  • Originally posted by bambi girl
    wow, lots of clever people on here :)

i hated learning F....infact, for a while i just gave up and played chords that didnt really work in it's place, but it's really not that hard all all....once you get the hang on it :)

i've been playing for over a year, and while i can make up solo's here and there, i've never attemped to learn barr chords or B....as i say my fingers are too small....im sure i could do it though, just need to be bothered to actually sit down and do it :D

I KNOW you can do it!
    It is amazing how small fingers can stretch. I spent some time studying with Robert Fripp, (A nice Englishman)
    He is an amazing guitarist, one of the best around,and is a very short guy with small hands. I swear his fingers coming out to make some of the stretches he does!
    I guess it takes dedication.
    Guitarists get jealous when they see Jimi Hendrix using his thumb to barre chords!
    Be kind, man
    It is amazing how small fingers can stretch. I spent some time studying with Robert Fripp, (A nice Englishman)
    He is an amazing guitarist, one of the best around,and is a very short guy with small hands. I swear his fingers coming out to make some of the stretches he does!
    I guess it takes dedication.
    Guitarists get jealous when they see Jimi Hendrix using his thumb to barre chords!

a short english stubby fingered person, sure that wasnt me?? hehe, i do have titchy hands....not stubby fingers, well they might be, i dunno, but just tiny hands in general.....but ilike em that way....and i know what you mean about Jimi.....grrrr

:D
  • HAHAHAHA

sorry :)

learn well the ways of Stone and Mike *nods*
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Originally posted by bambi girl
    a short english stubby fingered person, sure that wasnt me?? hehe, i do have titchy hands....not stubby fingers, well they might be, i dunno, but just tiny hands in general.....but ilike em that way....and i know what you mean about Jimi.....grrrr

:D

I'm glad you're happy the way you are, Bambi Girl:)

Here's a short fingered F, too

e-x
    b-x
    g-2 - middle finger
    d-3 -pinky
    a-3 -ring
    E-1 -mister index finger
    Be kind, man
    It's always the hardest chord for beginners to play. You need the most finger pressure to press down at the first fret, so it's physically the hardest.

E-1
    B-1
    G-2
    D-3
    A-X
    E-X
    But if you keep trying barre chords, your finger WILL strengthen eventually. Learn to barre with your index like that on the upper frets first and you will soon be able to stretch those fingers out more on the lower frets, where the spacing is larger.

You, and any guitarist would do well by learning to play all the open chords with your pinky, ring and middle finger, so that you can barre them anywhere. You'll eventually be able to play the Ab Barre like this:

E-4 with your pinky
    B-1
    G-1
    D-1
    A-3
    E-4
    Ouch!

When you're really stretched out, these will make the F chord look easy!
    E-5 pinky
    B-5 pinky
    G-3 middle
    D-x
    A-4 ring
    E-2 index

to this :
    E-5 Pinky
    B-5 Pinky
    G-2 middle
    D-X
    A-3 ring
    E-1 index
    You'd be amazed how far your fingers can stretch. I know some Jazz players with pretty small hands that can do amazing finger stretches.

The important thing is to warm up your fingers before you tackle the F chord
    Another VERY important thing to remember is to concentrate on using the minimum amount of finger pressure on the string as possible to make the notes ring. Players tend to get tense when they play and press harder than they need to,, thusly tiring the fingers out too fast, whether playing lead or chords

Have fun:D

awwww bob ..you're just the best!!

you should have seen the patience with which he taught me all those chords...and everytime it sounded like *plluuubbblluubllluub* he was still encouraging me!!!! love ya bob! :D

btw...my F-chord doesn't sound that bad anymore...;)
  • yea that F gets ya caught up a bit when you first start playin.

move it up and down the neck.

up 2 frets is a G, up 4 frets is an A, etc etc :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Wow. That was much more valuable material than I could have pulled out of any of the instructional books I have. I started played all sorts of chords you suggested, then went back to the normal F and it was a little easier. Then I started messing around with Barre chords and the the F got a little easier. Before you know it I was playing for an hour and a little improved.

I think it gets easier when the front/side of your index finger gets callouses... no?
  • Originally posted by MayDay10
    Wow. That was much more valuable material than I could have pulled out of any of the instructional books I have. I started played all sorts of chords you suggested, then went back to the normal F and it was a little easier. Then I started messing around with Barre chords and the the F got a little easier. Before you know it I was playing for an hour and a little improved.

I think it gets easier when the front/side of your index finger gets callouses... no?

Yup! Your fingers will get toughened and they'll get stronger, too.
    Whenever you think you're overextending yourself,,the previous stuff that you think you didn't know gets easier!:D
    Be kind, man

Callouses are a big help, as they develop it really makes it possible to play a lot better without getting sore fingertips.

The biggest things, though, are finger strength and dexterity. When you first start playing guitar, you play one note at a time with the index finger fretting the string... plink-plink-plink... but as you work on things, you build up your strength, agility, dexterity. Things you thought were physically impossible before come fairly naturally after the first few months. You'll be wondering how you ever got your fingers to bend that way... and hold down a string and play chords, notes, fills, riffs...

Most music stores sell finger-training tools like spring-loaded strength builders and fingerweights that give your fingers a work-out. Most people would laugh, but a musician (guitar, bass, keyboard/guitar, woodwinds, horns... etc) really does need to have good finger movement. It's just something that gets better as you work on it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by Squirrel

you should have seen the patience with which he taught me all those chords...and everytime it sounded like *plluuubbblluubllluub* he was still encouraging me!!!! love ya bob! :D

btw...my F-chord doesn't sound that bad anymore...;)

I saw Squirrel learn barre chords before my very eyes.!

That was the running theme of Squirrel's guitar lessons in Austria!

*plluuubbblluubllluub*:D:D (the sound of someone learning the F chord!)
    Ahhh, you reminded me of a great trip!
    Be kind, man

That was the running theme of Squirrel's guitar lessons in Austria!

*plluuubbblluubllluub*:D:D (the sound of someone learning the F chord!)
    Ahhh, you reminded me of a great trip!

;)
    hehe...they're really coming you know!
    granny was here today and i played her some stuff...she loved roadhouse blues :D
    The best part of this thread is the fact that I absolutely could not do something when I started it (play an "F" chord), and now by listening to all your suggestions, I have already gotton a whole lot better at playing an F and I have started barre chords and have made progress with that. I feel the doors will start to open soon...
    Helping other people is what the human race should be focused on, if we want to progress.