Anyone have any experiences with SWR's?

FitzburghFitzburgh Posts: 29
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm gonna save up and get a new amp sometime soon, and I was playing around (minimally) with a SWR LA 12, 60 Watt. It seemed okay. The reviews an harmony-central made it seem kinda meh, so I wanted to know if anybody here has any experience with SWR's.

I play in my room, mostly, but I might start playing with friends. I've only been playing for about half a year, and I don't really want to pay more than 300 USD. I currently own an ESP LTD C-10 package bass and a guitar amp which breaks more and more whenever I play it. If anyone else has suggestions, that's be helpful.

Thanks.
kthxbai
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've heard terrible things about the Working Man's series of amps, and less-than-kind things about the LA-series. Their high-end gear is great, but their entry-level stuff is SWR in name only.

I'd look at a Peavey or Crate combo amp, most likely something with a 15" woofer (and maybe a tweeter) and about 100 watts. You can play that in the bedroom at low levels, or on stage pushing some pretty decent air. Some of them will have headphone jacks for silent practicing, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod

I'd look at a Peavey or Crate combo amp, most likely something with a 15" woofer (and maybe a tweeter) and about 100 watts. You can play that in the bedroom at low levels, or on stage pushing some pretty decent air. Some of them will have headphone jacks for silent practicing, too.

Yeah, I've heard good things about Peavey's, how much would something like that cost?
    kthxbai
  • yeah the workingmans...or should I say "still not workingmans" suck. " great for small to medium sized clubs" blew it up twice playing in an acoustic band. still blown, not gonna fix it. wanna buy it?
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • Avoid the working man series. Avoid Crate, just go get yourself a nice Peavey amp. You'll be happy
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • http://peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action/details/item/00449070/wc/1A1B13/fam/1B1/tcode/3/minx.cfm

It seems solid, and it fits into my price range.

I'm not sure though, I'm just looking for stuff. >_>
    kthxbai
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Megoliath Great, Pro amps and cabinets fantastic.

Workingman's LA series..................

NO! NO! NO! NO! It's absolutely crap.

You'd do better with Peavy or Trace Elliot, or Carvin, or Ampeg/Crate perhaps even a Hartke Kickback.

We could loan out equipment at Guitar Center when I was an employee.

Some of my buddies took one home to record. It blew up that same night. One night and it was toast. That ain't for any working man I know.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.