Learning songs by ear

FitzburghFitzburgh Posts: 29
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
How do you guys suggest going about learning songs by ear. My teacher and I were doing the Pixies Hey last week, and I didn some changes by ear. He can pick up songs by ear pretty quickly. How did you guys learn to play songs by ear?

Also, I play bass.
kthxbai
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• VacantVacant Posts: 50
    I think that it's something you'll get used to over time. I can't offer any quick advice. Sometimes you can just sit there, strum a few chords, and then realize it's part of a song and continue to play it. I think most people here will agree that with time and practice, it becomes increasingly simple.
    --Evenflow Psycho #0019--

Back after a 3 year personal hiatus!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    almost everything I do I learn from my ear.

Originally I picked up the guitar as a fun instrument with no structure so I gravitated away from sheet music. I think as I go from here I'll learn a little more theory so I can become a better musician and be more rounded. When I started the majority of my music was on trombone so guitar was a release form that structure and boredom. Now not having that structure, I'd like to read more music.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Cool guys, thanks. I figured it would come with time, but i wanted to see if I could speed up the process. ¬_¬

I think I'm gonna try learning simple bass lines like Pixies for starters. Any other recommendations would be cool too.
    kthxbai
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    One little tip is to put the song on your cd player and then put your tuner by the speaker (youll need a chromatic tuner).

when the song starts playing the tuner will (most of the time ) start to go to the notes of the chords that are playing, this method has helped me figure out tons of stuff, I get a nice warm feeling when i figure a song out this way rather than tabs.

Try it yourself.