Cleaning your Frets

NullifidianNullifidian Posts: 110
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Sounds dirty eh? ;)

But yes I know there are various products out there for cleaning your fret board but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Or if anyone has some sort of home remedy or some ancient untold family secret that they wish to bestow upon me.

Cheers guys!
[Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Sounds dirty eh? ;)

But yes I know there are various products out there for cleaning your fret board but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Or if anyone has some sort of home remedy or some ancient untold family secret that they wish to bestow upon me.

Cheers guys!
    dude when i clean my fretboards i use a small amount of brasso on a duster to polish the frets all up the neck then clean off the residue straight away.then i just rub lemon oil into the fingerboard leave for 10 mins then wipe down the fretboard and hey presto its like a new guitar!:)
    Cornell pwns u
  • i've used lemon oil, worked great.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I use a very fine tiny square of steel wool to polish.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I use a very fine tiny square of steel wool to polish.

On the FRETS, not the FRETBOARD! Don't take steel wool to your fretboard (i.e. the wood between the metal).

I'm a fan of lemon oil as a cleaner/conditioner for the fretboard. A dab of lemon oil and a cheap toothbrush.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    GHS fastfret is a good way to keep your board and frets clean while the strings are on....when they're off lemon-oil works great.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    On the FRETS, not the FRETBOARD! Don't take steel wool to your fretboard (i.e. the wood between the metal).

I'm a fan of lemon oil as a cleaner/conditioner for the fretboard. A dab of lemon oil and a cheap toothbrush.

oh yes of course only use steel wool on the frets and the nut.

lemon oil, orange oil etc for the FB unless you have a more favorite fb cleaner.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.