AC30 Valves/Tubes

NullifidianNullifidian Posts: 110
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey Boys & Girls,

So I have my good old AC30 which has been sitting around doing nothing for a few months. When I got around to playing it again, as I turned it on the valves blew! And tears from my eyes followed, cause I was only with it for a small while and wouldn't get to play it till I replaced them.

SO.. my question if anyone has any recommendations. Should I go with the valves that Vox themselves provide or is it worthwhile sourcing out some other custom made ones? Guess this doesn't have to be for just Vox owners. What are peoples experiences with good ole fashioned valve changing on their amps?

Cheers,

Nulli
[Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Two people you should speak to.

Mike, at http://www.kcanostubes.com (check out the tesla non JJ EL84's)

do you have an EF86 preamp??

also Lord Valve at TheGuitarHub.com

http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve

it may need to be gone over. Have you had it checked recently? The Filter caps are probably getting old, and you might check the fuses first.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • NullifidianNullifidian Posts: 110
    Nope I don't have the pre-amp! Looks interesting though :D

Hmm that's a good point. I just assumed the vavles would be what went cause it has been sitting around doing nothing for a while. I suspected a build up of dust might have not done it very much good. So I probably should get someone to take a look over it just in case.

Don't know if you would know. But if a valve is bust would the amp still power on? Cause at the moment I can't even turn the amp to stand-by. Come to think of this not sure if I thought this through at all. Could just be the fuse.
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

Hmm that's a good point. I just assumed the vavles would be what went cause it has been sitting around doing nothing for a while. I suspected a build up of dust might have not done it very much good. So I probably should get someone to take a look over it just in case.

Don't know if you would know. But if a valve is bust would the amp still power on? Cause at the moment I can't even turn the amp to stand-by. Come to think of this not sure if I thought this through at all. Could just be the fuse.

yes, the amp will power on with worn out tubes. Generally if the power tubes go it will play for a while then sound muzzled then not have any sound at all.

If it won't power up it could be a bad fuse, and in that case change the fuse out and see if it will work, if not, take the thing to a tech and have it looked over for loose wires, dust, old caps etc. There could be a dangerous short.

It's worth taking care with and generally being careful. That's a great amp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Remember, NEVER turn an amp ON if you're missing a tube.
    When you turn the amp ON the load has to go somewhere.
    If the load can't go anywhere you'll more than likely fry the amp.
    Agreed, check the fuse first.
    Secondly (if that doesn't work), simply get the amp checked out.
    * Tube amps contain enough juice (even unplugged) to literally kill you - now we don't want that.
    Yeah, possibly the filter caps may need to be replaced, though not turning on is usually the
    cause of something else (and something as simple as a blown fuse can be one of the reasons).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627

Dust can create a situation where tubes will blow up. If somehow dust gets on the tube socket it can actually create a connection between tube pins making them arc, which will blow the tube. You can check for this by pulling out the tube, and seeing if there is a carbon trail between pin sockets. Also, you didn't mention this, but do you leave the amp on standby after powering up the amp? The current shock to the tubes can cause a weak tube to blow. If you replace the tube, and the amp still seems to lack power, then the other post is correct. You can often spot bad power tubes by tapping on them with the eraser end of a pencil. If you see lightning flashes, then the tubes are dying. You will probably need the caps a filters replaced. Lord Valve is a really knowlegable about tube amps and a good source of NOS tubes.

Good luck, let us know what happens

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    Just something to remember, tubes can hold electricity a long time after you unplug the amp, careful if you're taking your amp apart.
  • Jooooosh wrote:
    Just something to remember, tubes can hold electricity a long time after you unplug the amp, careful if you're taking your amp apart.

Tubes don't hold a charge. Capacitors do.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Tubes don't hold a charge. Capacitors do.
    eh close enough, I knew tube amps hold electricity longer than solid states, so my point was you need to be careful when taking apart your amp.
  • Jooooosh wrote:
    eh close enough, I knew tube amps hold electricity longer than solid states, so my point was you need to be careful when taking apart your amp.

I hate to do this, but there are capacitors that hold a charge for a long time whether it's in a item with tubes, or if it's all solid state technology, doesn't matter.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

I hate to do this, but there are capacitors that hold a charge for a long time whether it's in a item with tubes, or if it's all solid state technology, doesn't matter.
    well I could quite possibly be wrong, I was just told by a few people that tube amps hold electricity much longer than solid states, there was a topic on another forum I frequent about people being killed when taking apart their tube amps.

http://www.valvette.us/theory.html
    "Tube amplifiers are dangerous to human beings and other living things. High voltages are employed in the circuitry of tube amplifiers. These high voltages may remain stored in the amplifier long after the switch is off and the power cord is disconnected. If you come into contact with these voltages, it will hurt; it could even kill you."
  • Jooooosh wrote:
    well I could quite possibly be wrong, I was just told by a few people that tube amps hold electricity much longer than solid states, there was a topic on another forum I frequent about people being killed when taking apart their tube amps.

http://www.valvette.us/theory.html
    "Tube amplifiers are dangerous to human beings and other living things. High voltages are employed in the circuitry of tube amplifiers. These high voltages may remain stored in the amplifier long after the switch is off and the power cord is disconnected. If you come into contact with these voltages, it will hurt; it could even kill you."

All depends on the individual circuit, and if it has a bleeder resistor etc.

It's all good man, it's all about safety for sure. Wasn't trying to cause a spat or anything.