Epiphone Masterbilt Acoustic

desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 143
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I know crap about quality guitars. I played with a $125 Fender acoustic for a few years and then my wife just bought me an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500MNS.

I was with her when she got it for me (my birthday, sweet!) at Guitar Center. They didn't have it out on display. I was playing some used Martin and the guy made mention of some Epiphone in the back, blah, blah, the next thing I know, I got it. Let me back up, I played it and it sounded great, it's a beautiful guitar for the 5 bills, in my opinion. Anyway, I got the thing and don't really remember why the guy said it wasn't out and have searched for it on the internet and have found different Masterbilts after looking everywhere but not the AJ-500MNS. I don't know what the deal is. I took it to another music store by my new house for a tune up and lube job and he commented on how nice it was. He pointed out I have Grover tuning knobs and asked if they were after market, nope, just what came on it, didn't even realize that was good.

So, I was just wondering, do any of you know about this series of guitars or anything, just anything, it's like I know nothing about the girl I spend so much time with.

Thanks.
Des
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    desandrews wrote:
    So I know crap about quality guitars. I played with a $125 Fender acoustic for a few years and then my wife just bought me an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500MNS.

I was with her when she got it for me (my birthday, sweet!) at Guitar Center. They didn't have it out on display. I was playing some used Martin and the guy made mention of some Epiphone in the back, blah, blah, the next thing I know, I got it. Let me back up, I played it and it sounded great, it's a beautiful guitar for the 5 bills, in my opinion. Anyway, I got the thing and don't really remember why the guy said it wasn't out and have searched for it on the internet and have found different Masterbilts after looking everywhere but not the AJ-500MNS. I don't know what the deal is. I took it to another music store by my new house for a tune up and lube job and he commented on how nice it was. He pointed out I have Grover tuning knobs and asked if they were after market, nope, just what came on it, didn't even realize that was good.

So, I was just wondering, do any of you know about this series of guitars or anything, just anything, it's like I know nothing about the girl I spend so much time with.

Thanks.
    Des
    cool man, i was actually looking at a nylon masterbuilt a while back, but i decided to save up for an american deluxe ash tele:)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500M - I think they've just been released, which is possibly why it was in the back.
    It's a nice guitar (though made in China), with kind of a retro 1930's look. It has a solid mahogany neck, back, and sides, Rosewood fretboard, and a spruce top (unfortunately mahogany is my least favorite wood for acoustic guitars since it's sound is almost too mellow, and it has quite a dark/muddy characteristic/ and it's not as articulate as say, Rosewood - I really prefer Rosewood over any other wood on an acoustic guitar). This guitar has a satin finish, and it comes with open back Grover tuners, binding, 25 1/2' scale neck, gig bag with hygrometer built into the lid, 21 Frets, old style Epiphone headstock, and mother of pearl logo. I hate to say it, but Epiphones like this in this price range make a bit more $$$ for the salesman than many other guitars in the same price range (which is why they might push them over some of the others makes). For the same $550 you could also get a Parkwood, or for $125 more you could get a solid Indian Rosewood Back/Side Guild GAD50 (Guild is owned by Fender, though I hate Fender Acoustics), or for another $200 more than the Guild you could get a lower end Taylor (I love Taylor, that's made with much better precision than either of the other guitars I listed, and it's MADE IN USA). Here's the Epiphone on Musicians Friend (Guitar Center Own Musicians Friend): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-AJ500M-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518101&src=3SOSWXXA
    Anyhow, the Epiphone's a decent mid/low level priced guitar - it's a nice choice. However, I'm a Taylor guy thus I prefer Taylor, but this is still a nice guitar either way - CHEERS . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Thanks Ian. Not too bad for a stab in the dark then. I've had the guitar for a few months now and everytime I play it I notice how much better it is than what I had before it. That's all I care about, but I'll take what you've said in to consideration if I can get good enough to deserve another upgrade.

Thanks again.
    Des
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    an excellent guitar, nice round tone good stable tuning (Grovers, Put them on the expensive ones too Gibson dammit), excellent setup on the ones I've come across, good deal for the money relatively speaking and I like them a lot.

Though everything Ian said is true. I too am more of a taylor guy. I like Mahogany fine though my guitar is all maple, and I probably prefer rosewood backs and sides and spruce tops though I am often wooed by Koa, Cedar and walnut..... Obviously if you can afford solid wood go that way, but hey it's a nice guitar and should serve you well, congrats.

The Kaman corporation was the biggest money maker for the sales guy when I was working (Takamine, OVATION etc..) I just couldn't sell people Ovations. I generally started with Martin or Taylor depending on style and then worked down from there, Guild's aren't as working friendly as say a Taylor because of the glued construction, but I lurve Guild 12 strings for whatever reason.

I don't think Larrivee's fret work is quite as good as Taylor but they make some lovely cost effective guitars too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.