M-Audio Firewire 410

desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 143
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
My wife bought me an M-Audio Firewire 410 4-in/10-out FireWire Mobile Recording Interface. I don't know shit about recording but want to start laying down riffs and shit on top of rhythms I've come up with. Anybody know anything about this model? She got it from Guitar Center and we're going there today to see if there's anything I'd rather have in the same price range (she didn't know shit when she was picking it out either, but based on what I wanted to do, this is what the salesman led her to).

Keep in mind, it was a Christmas gift, so please don't bash it. :-)

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fuck! I just read on the M-Audio website that none of their products work with the Windows Media Center edition of XP. That sucks!!! Well, I guess I'm making a return either way.
  • desandrews wrote:
    Fuck! I just read on the M-Audio website that none of their products work with the Windows Media Center edition of XP. That sucks!!! Well, I guess I'm making a return either way.

if you get ProTools 7.x LE M-Powered, it will i ndeed work, and you will have a hearty system....up to you though...the Pro Tools software woudl cost you about 200 bucks.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • if you get ProTools 7.x LE M-Powered, it will i ndeed work, and you will have a hearty system....up to you though...the Pro Tools software woudl cost you about 200 bucks.

So you're saying if I get that version of ProTools I will not have issues with MediaCenter and everything will work fine? It says right on the M-Audio website that they're not compatible, do you know of some fix? If so, can you send me any links explaining? Thanks for the info.
  • ProTools M-powered is made to work specifically with M-Audio interfaces. What I'm wondering is what makes that model incompatible with the Media Center edition OS. Is it the original recording software with the Firewire 410, or is it the drivers for the hardware? If it's a driver problem, then it won't work (unless they come up with a software patch).

Can you find the webpage with the information you found, so we can see what they're saying? Post a link.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ProTools M-powered is made to work specifically with M-Audio interfaces. What I'm wondering is what makes that model incompatible with the Media Center edition OS. Is it the original recording software with the Firewire 410, or is it the drivers for the hardware? If it's a driver problem, then it won't work (unless they come up with a software patch).

Can you find the webpage with the information you found, so we can see what they're saying? Post a link.

It appears to be a driver problem and it doesn't look fixable. Here's a link from the M-Audio website.

http://www.m-audio.com/?do=support.faq&ID=24dfdfc72b87a76e44bb230c809fef0c

Here's a link from another website that says ProTools is not compatible either.

http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/xp/os.cfm

I think I now have a great excuse to buy a MacBook Pro!
  • desandrews wrote:
    It appears to be a driver problem and it doesn't look fixable. Here's a link from the M-Audio website.

http://www.m-audio.com/?do=support.faq&ID=24dfdfc72b87a76e44bb230c809fef0c

Here's a link from another website that says ProTools is not compatible either.

http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/xp/os.cfm

I think I now have a great excuse to buy a MacBook Pro!

Powermac for life!.....of wait....im buying an XP powered rackmount PC....whatever!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • So I bought the Apple MacBook Pro to go along with my M-Audio Firewire 410, and a Shure condensor mic. I am so freaking impressed with the setup. I am only using LiveLite, which came with the 410 and will probably go up to ProTools at some point, but all I'm concerned with at the moment is capturing my own recordings with quality equipment, this certainly does that.

I love the fact that you can just keep adding layers and layers and layers. I'll start with a rhythm progression I made up, try to freestyle some simple acoustic riffs on another take over that, then plug the electric in and go for some meatier riffs here and there, then add another layer of the tambourine, then another of the mandolin, then another of two pieces of 2X4 being knocked together, you get the point, it's a fucking blast.

Anybody have any experience with the M-Audio? What about the Live software? I'm wondering if I should even try to learn any of the enhancement capabilities or if I should just play around with recording and focus on my own abilities to change chords better and hit notes more accurately and timely (which is much easier to tell when you're able to record) and what not; then when I'm ready to start "producing" and making beats etc. I'll upgrade to ProTools, any thoughts?
  • Hey,

If you are serious about recording i would step up to M-Powered Pro tools 7.x . it is well worth the 200 bucks. I've used pro tools alot, and for an LE version
    (which reallyhas alot more than nessecary still) $200 is a steal. Also, alot more people can help you out with tips (magazines, websites, and even people on here) and alot of plugin's from alot of different companies are compatible with AVID (digidesign/m audio/midiman parent company), so beefing up yoru studio will be no problem, either with effects, or more gear. A small mixer wouldn't be a bad idea either to route all the sound.