I need some motivation

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I play guitar and bass. I consider myself a bassist first and foremost because that's what I always wanted to play, and that's what I did in my former bands. And I was pretty damn good too, if I say so myself.
Anyway, Last couple of years I haven't played much at all because I haven't been in a band. Anytime I pick up my bass (or guitar for that matter) I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be due to lack of practice. I get pissed off and tell myself I'll get back to my former glory but I never stick to it. I need something to motivate me :( I wanna be good again.
Anyway, just venting and rambling here. Carry on.
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i totally hear you.

just don't start fiddling with gear. that's the begininning of the real end. trust me.

i'd suggest maybe, if you aren't already, getting into recording a little bit. just really basic setup with a little 4-track cassette or something. you can sketch and build up ideas. you end up being more creative as you create parts to fit what's forming.

and it improves your playing because you really start to hear flaws when you listen back.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Good idea. I think I will start that. Staring back in college soon too ,so I'l lhave loadsa spare time :D;)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Ok, so I play guitar and bass. I consider myself a bassist first and foremost because that's what I always wanted to play, and that's what I did in my former bands. And I was pretty damn good too, if I say so myself.
    Anyway, Last couple of years I haven't played much at all because I haven't been in a band. Anytime I pick up my bass (or guitar for that matter) I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be due to lack of practice. I get pissed off and tell myself I'll get back to my former glory but I never stick to it. I need something to motivate me :( I wanna be good again.
    Anyway, just venting and rambling here. Carry on.

I'm exactly int he same situation as you. I started playing the bass 10 years ago and played in some bands. I wasn't bad an played a bit everyday.
    Since 2 or 3 years, I don't play anymore (I play maybe 10 minutes per week, not more).
    I thought the only way to get motivated is to find a new band to play in...
    I think this is what I'm going to do.
    Why don't you try to do so ?
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I take guitar lessons and I play everyday, and what's motivating is that I just simply love playing the guitar. I love music and I am always learning. I think if you set a realistic goal to practice everyday even just 30 to 60 minutes you will stay motivated because you will find yourself getting better all the time. Try to learn more complicated songs and try to play along with them on the CD. The most important thing is to have fun everytime you pick up your guitar or bass!