Internet Tabs may be banned

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Check this shit out. It'ss bloody disgraceful

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• there's a thread somewhere in this forum about this already if you want responses ;)

its going to be tough (especially on begininers) but cmon.. it's the right thing to do.. i mean.. it is the artists' music.

i think we could see a lot of musicians granting rights to post internet tabs though.

also, you'll always have forums that will basically get the job done.. maybe even in a better way. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I don't get it...most of these aren't official...they are interpretations from other players.

What's the big deal?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • The rapture is already well under way.

Last time I checked, Mxtabs, guitartabuniverse and many others are gone.
  • GTU is working again.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The rapture is already well under way.

Last time I checked, Mxtabs, guitartabuniverse and many others are gone.
    yeah i noticed that
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • It's daft.

For the most part the "interpretations" of the composers music are way off.

A few years ago I tried to learn a nylon-string piece called "Horizons" from an English guitarist called Steve Hackett (bit embarrassed to mention on a Pearl Jam forum). Initially I downloaded some of the "interpretations".

I couldn't get on with any of them - for the most part the guesses that folk had made were way off.

So I paid my £2.50 and downloaded the official tabs to Horizons from Hacketts own web site.

If the likes of MPA are going to see the "interpretation" web sites shut down, then surely the artists themselves should be jumping in and exploiting the opportunity to sell their own music through downloaded tabs. Very few though are taking that line.

The efforts of the MPA (and RIAA) to pursue copyright over-enthusiastically are doing nothing except killing the industry.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/31/riaa_2005_piracy/ - Music sales slide despite RIAA's crushing blows against piracy

If youngsters are denied the opportunity to learn how to play their 'heroes music, they'll not learn to play...if they don't learn to play the industry will kill off the next generation of musicians and its source for future profit.

Its just short-term greed for long-term losses.

Be interesting to see what some of the artists think about this...
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Hopefully more bands will start publishin accurate tab. I get tired of practicing one version of a song while my fellow guitarist is home practicing a different version, then we have to decipher which is right.
  • ChaenChaen Posts: 36
    This is one of the most redicoulus things i have ever heard. Online Tabulature should be free its not like we are taking the songs and saying we wrote it and if you are well our a dumbass give credit to the true writers. I can understand downloading music being illegal but tabs come on.
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004

Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music

Tattooed your name on my arm i always said my girls a good luck charm.
  • Chaen wrote:
    This is one of the most redicoulus things i have ever heard. Online Tabulature should be free its not like we are taking the songs and saying we wrote it and if you are well our a dumbass give credit to the true writers. I can understand downloading music being illegal but tabs come on.

I agree. If a young kid learns a song from someones interpretation on the Web, and plays it on guitar in his bedroom, no real harm done. If he joins a band and plays the same number live, even using duff chords he/she learnt, the royalty for the live performance gets paid (via the venue invariably).

There are of course sources of "official" tab books available, and I wonder if the MPA are responding somehow to some perceived loss of revenue from the Web that impacts on these sales. However most artists haven't published tab books at all. PJ to my understanding just have "Ten" available in a tabbed & official publication. What the MPA probably don't understand is that the inaccuracy of most of the tabbed "interpretations" drive customers to buy the official publications (in despair).

Some bands are particularly good at exploiting the opportunities of selling their music officially; Coldplay released guitar tab and piano notation books of X&Y simultaneously with the new CD, and even have a live release tabbed. They've taken publication of their music to extremes; even releasing simplified versions of the tab books for beginner guitarists.

In the recent past I've purchased tab books from artists as diverse as Damien Rice, Dire Straits, the White Stripes, Steeley Dan, Yes, Neil Young and, eh...Coldplay. The books are of various degrees of quality. With modern phrase trainer hardware easily available for guitarists, it becomes easy to slow down passages and learn them bar-by-bar.

Of course in the past there wasn't the Internet, tab books or phrase trainers; fledgling guitarists learnt their trade by listening to the radio or playing a vinyl record or cassette repeatedly and trying to work out their parts by ear. This was probably the best way to learn, and the way I had to learn when I picked up guitar for the first time in the early 1980's (ooops, showing my age!) It certainly pushed folk into writing their own compositions, if for no other reason than not having to try to perform hashed versions of cover numbers!

So if a band doesn't publish their music (prefererably in tab for the guitar and bass) and their music isn't available in interpreted form on the Internet, what's the chance their music will be heard other than in their releases/live playing? They'll be fewer covers, fewer royalties from others playing a writers music, fewer guitarists enthusing about the abilities their heroes have and they can't match (I used to think Dave Gilmours stuff would be easy-to-play until I got hold of the official, and gorgeously-produced "Division Bell" tab book).

I just hope that more artists take the opportunity to publish their music and fill the void the MPA create.
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    well theyre all offline at the moment, who are we supposed to complain to? because i want to
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo