Someone else who needs amp recommendation

Dr. JDr. J Posts: 75
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am looking for a relatively low priced amp that is going to be played in a room along with a set of drums, so I just need it to be able to keep up. Any recommendations?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    What's your budget?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Dr. JDr. J Posts: 75
    i was thinking no more than $300.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    yeah - couple questions:
    1)BUDGET (how cheap, under $300 doesn't leave much)???
    2)SOLID STATE or TUBE???
    2)TYPE OF MUSIC BEING PLAYED???

Basically you'll need an amp that's at least 65-watts solid state, or 30-watts tube. Will you want to use the amps overdrive, or are you planning on using pedals??? Peavey Classic Series amps (using EL84's) are nice all around, or Fender (using 6L6's) are good for round clean tone.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    yeah - couple questions:
    1)BUDGET (how cheap, under $300 doesn't leave much)???
    2)SOLID STATE or TUBE???
    2)TYPE OF MUSIC BEING PLAYED???

Basically you'll need an amp that's at least 65-watts solid state, or 30-watts tube. Will you want to use the amps overdrive, or are you planning on using pedals??? Peavey Classic Series amps (using EL84's) are nice all around, or Fender (using 6L6's) are good for round clean tone.

i love how tubes just pump out more than solidstate, regardless of wattage. my 40 watt deluxe is louder than any solid state ive goen against

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Dr. JDr. J Posts: 75
    ianvomsaal wrote:

$300 was more of a first thought, I could do a little more if I need to (but I am a college student so not too much more). We are mostly going to be jamming on stuff like PJ, Soundgarden, Tool, Deftones, etc. I could go either way with solid state vs. tube, that would probably boil down to price. I'll look into those that you suggested.
  • Dr. J wrote:
    $300 was more of a first thought, I could do a little more if I need to (but I am a college student so not too much more). We are mostly going to be jamming on stuff like PJ, Soundgarden, Tool, Deftones, etc. I could go either way with solid state vs. tube, that would probably boil down to price. I'll look into those that you suggested.

try finding a good musical pawnshop, theres allways good buy's there, as long as they ar emore dedicated to instruments. also, check yoru local "bargain hunter" advertisement service. another great way to find cheap, quality gear, is to go to music stores which, rent, or loan gear, and see if they have any used/demo amps for much less than retail.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    A used Peavey Classic 30