effect pedal question(s)

Anthropoid76Anthropoid76 Posts: 83
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey, about a year back i bought a distortion pedal, which is the only pedal i have, and i am looking into get some more pedals, but i dont know which ones. could someone tell me what the best pedal would be to buy next to improve my sound and give me some variety. Also, what does the pedal you suggest do?

thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    How do YOU eat your Reese's Peanutbutter Cups?!?

Well, generally speaking, I'd recommend either a Wah pedal or a delay. There are many other options out there, but these two seem to be high on the list.

Wah pedals: Take the tone knob from your guitar and put it inside a footpedal that you can rock back and forth. Think Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile, Slight Return" intro.

Delay: Take the original signal, and create echos that play underneath. Echos can be time-adjusted, and the number of repeats can also be adjusted. Think U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name".

For more research on effects, here's an old favorite...

http://www.analogman.com/monkey.htm

Any guitar player you would like to sound more like tonally?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • i'd say trey anastasio from PHISH. and of course my PJ boys :P

by the way, what do tube screamers and overdrive do?

thanks again
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I agree with the Wah/Delay recommendation. Of all the pedals I have, those are the 2 I use the most along w/ distortion.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    I'm pretty happy with the setup of: Distortion, Overdrive, Wah, Chorus, Delay, Phaser, in line tuner.

It depends a lot on what kind of sound you want and what kind of stuff you want to play. For example, to play a lot of Tom Morello's stuff you need a Digitech Whammy. I've considered buying one, but they're fairly expensive and I don't know if I would use it enough to justify it.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Anthropoid76
    by the way, what do tube screamers and overdrive do?

Without getting too technical, overdrives are light distortion pedals. They help push amps into distorting naturally, especially a tube amp.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.