mics on amps???

Anthropoid76Anthropoid76 Posts: 83
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
our band just purchased 2 mics, and we thought we had a PA, but it turned out to be a friends, and they want it back. since we now dont have a PA, can we use spare amps instead? i ask because i dont want to harm the amps with the mics like i did with my bass :( . will this work without hurting the amps? thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    You mean for vocals?

It will work, with the right cable. You'll need a female XLR - 1/4" mono cable for each mic.

Now, this isn't the best way to use a microphone, but it will work. My first band used a Peavey Stereo Chorus amp for vocals in practice for over a year, no problems. The voice is much closer to the guitar in frequency spectrum. Just don't expect the best fidelity.

It would be in your best interest to get a good little PA, if just a powered PA head and a couple decent cabinets. But if money is tight (it always is) and you have a spare guitar amp, it can be done. A keyboard amp, acoustic guitar amp, or full-range bass amp will give you better results, so if you can snag one of those...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by Anthropoid76
    our band just purchased 2 mics, and we thought we had a PA, but it turned out to be a friends, and they want it back. since we now dont have a PA, can we use spare amps instead? i ask because i dont want to harm the amps with the mics like i did with my bass :( . will this work without hurting the amps? thanks

FYI: a sound guy that I know has told me the complete oposite, that don't use a guitar amp, to use a bass or keyboard cabinet, due to they are closer to the actual speakers in a p.a. I'm not saying your wrong or anything, just figured I'd mention it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by All Those Yesterdays
    FYI: a sound guy that I know has told me the complete oposite, that don't use a guitar amp, to use a bass or keyboard cabinet, due to they are closer to the actual speakers in a p.a. I'm not saying your wrong or anything, just figured I'd mention it.

Well, a newer full-range bass or keyboard amp is almost the same as a small, self-contained PA. These types of amps (as well as acoustic guitar amps) usually have both a woofer and a tweeter, which means they have better fidelity for reproducing vocals.

But the original question was, Is it okay/safe? And the short answer is, Yes.

I suspect that this guy has one or more extra guitar amps just lying around. If he had a bass or keyboard amp lying around, that would be great, but...

I still think a small PA would be a good investment. You could get a Squier or Kustom 4-channel PA head with two cabinets for around $200 new, or something like that used for less.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.