Beginner help

ScavonePJScavonePJ Posts: 94
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I need some major help. I quit my school band and just got myself an acoustic guitar. I need some help with my left handed fingering on the neck of the guitar, mainly HOW TO DO IT.
"The true measure of a man is not where stands in times of comfort and convienence, But where he stands in moments of conflict and controversy."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens"

-Jimi Hendrix
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 2italy2italy Posts: 39
    You might want to buy a dvd or video that explains it or search online for photos. Good luck.
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    You best bet, short of lessons, is a good beginners book or video. Maybe both.

If there's someone in your town that gives lessons I would suggest that.
  • ScavonePJScavonePJ Posts: 94
    Yeah I got a lesson set up that I have to go to in about 2 hrs.
    "The true measure of a man is not where stands in times of comfort and convienence, But where he stands in moments of conflict and controversy."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

-Jimi Hendrix
  • 2italy2italy Posts: 39
    Originally posted by ScavonePJ
    Yeah I got a lesson set up that I have to go to in about 2 hrs.

Good luck. Guitar is fun and a good creative outlet too. :)
  • BE CAREFUL WITH LESSONS

i know a lot of people who took lessons (theory lessons especially) and they killed whatever passion they had to play the guitar.

get a friend who plays to help you get started then go at it by yourself, pick harder and harder songs, etc.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • ScavonePJScavonePJ Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Pearl Jam and toast
    BE CAREFUL WITH LESSONS

i know a lot of people who took lessons (theory lessons especially) and they killed whatever passion they had to play the guitar.

get a friend who plays to help you get started then go at it by yourself, pick harder and harder songs, etc.

I'm taking 4 lessons with a guy who likes PJ, and than I'm done. I don't think I have to worry.

-Martin Luther King Jr.

-Jimi Hendrix
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    I used "Guitar for Dummies" to figure out how to finger stuff and whatnot, and went strait to PJ tabs and chords. I still suck, but I look forward to playing every day :)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Buy a guitar chord book and stick to all the basic open chords. A, C, D, E, F & G. Start with the finger positioning for these chords and practice them until you have them down pat and can change from one to the other very quickly. After that you can move onto bar chords and possibly some lead guitar.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    Originally posted by Pearl Jam and toast
    BE CAREFUL WITH LESSONS

A valid point, but in my experience you'll need lessons at some point. Unless you've got some of Mozart's or Hendrix's DNA, self teaching can only get so far. I was self taught for quite awhile, but then I got majorly stuck - for a long time. I broke down and got some lessons and they really made a difference. Looking back, he didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but he gave me the direction I was needing to further my playing. I can forsee need lessons again, someday.