Tubes question

GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I need to replace my tubes to my Fender Deville 410

Anybody have a reccomendation for tubes? Are Groove tubes any good and what is a better option.

Here are the ones i need (feel free to correct me if i am wrong here:) )

(2) 6L6's
(3) 12AX7's

any help but be very appreciated.

Thank you!!
“I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    It's unlikely you need to replace the pre-amp tubes (12AX7). Unless one has gone bad, they last for years, even with heavy use.
    Annual replacement is usually only power tubes (6L6).
    Occasionally the V1 pre-amp tube needs replacing, but do the power tubes first.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Awesome, thanks for the help folks.

I've had the amp for about 4-5 years now with heavy use and transportation and have not changed anything. Safe to say the power tubes are ready to go.

I will change those first and then see what the deal is with the pre's. Clean channel has just lost its level.

let me know if there is anything else i should know.

thanks a bunch dudes!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Annual replacement is usually only power tubes (6L6).
    Occasionally the V1 pre-amp tube needs replacing, but do the power tubes first.
    Exactly . . . you sound like me.
    If it's been 4 or 5 years you may also want to replace the 12AX7's to be safe that one doesn't fail unexpectedly.
    On a side not - There are a lot of tube variations available.
    Mesa Boogie Tubes are really well calibrated.
    Or you can go with NOS tubes.
    And as Novawind said, the JJ’s are also nice.

I have a 4X10 DeVille that I put 6L6 STR-440 Mesa Boogie Tubes into, and they sound really good.
    Here's the 440 description according to Mesa:
    - The 440 is our very best overall 6L6.
    - It is a premium grade, US equivalent and our tube of choice in the production of all new Mesa 6L6 powered models.
    - Remarkable bass definition, articulate mids and shimmering highs keep every note amazingly intelligible, with a smooth, creamy character.
    - Premium structural quality provides exceptional consistency and reliability.
    - Rivals NOS (New Old Stock) durability and sonic character, and amazing for all styles of music

Groove Tubes are fine - they're currently what comes standard in Fender.
    I played a DeVille with a pair of GT 6L6CHP Black Plate High Performance Groove Tubes and I liked them a lot.
    Scroll down near the bottom of this page and you can read some info on them: http://www.groovetubes.com/
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I ended up going with novawind's suggestion of the JJ ones.

I read a good review on them before the reccomendation so I'm excited to get those babies in.

For only $30, if i end up not liking them I may go the Mesa route but I'm not too picky.

Thanks again gents
  • i just adore the fact that tubes for our amps, are also in MIG fighters.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19