Taylors...

Pearl-FighterPearl-Fighter Posts: 46
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yesterday i played a taylor at the store and fell in love!Long story short, its 2 thousand! (CDN) Should i buy it? What are some opinions here on taylors?
Leave your girlfriend on a cement floor...
Toronto 09/19/05
Toronto 05/09/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• they're great freakin guitars, no doubt about it.

2 large is a ton of money though...make sure you think it through.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I have a 414 cutaway and I love it. It's a great neck, I almost never need to tune it, and it sounds great. It's a bit brighter than a Martin, all a matter of preference.
    It's a great guitar for an electric guitar player because of the neck.

Make sure that you have somebody else play it, and sit in front of it so you can here the sound. ( Not just this, but any acoustic guitar).
    If you like it and go for it, you won't be disappointed, they're well built and engineered guitars.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

http://www.larrivee.com/

*cough*
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Taylor makes a very nice guitar. If you've found one that you like and can afford it, then by all means buy it. I would suggest one thing, however. If you have 2 grand to spend on a guitar, shop around a little more. There are many fine instruments in that price range and you would be cheating yourself a little not to try some of them.

My guess is the Taylor you played probably isn't going anywhere soon. If it does just find another, you may even find one you like better, never know.

I don't know what you budget is, but you might also find some private luthiers and snag yourself a hand built baby.

There is a luthier who lives in my area who builds for $1000 bucks with case. Don't let the price fool you, they are world class guitars that should be selling for thousands more. He's an old school genius who does it for the love of making, not the love of making money. I own one and I kiss it every night before I go to bed. I sat with him through almost the entire process and it was amazing. It's MY guitar.

Just my two cents. Don't get me rambling about acoustic guitars.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I fell in love twice this weekend too.

Once, with a collings dreadnaught. and once with a beautiful Martin OM 28 with the aged top and rosewood back and sides.

Taylors are wonderful guitars, close action amazing tone.

Should you buy it.....sure if that's what you want. It's well worth it. It's likely a 800 series. You loving it is the most important. If you have the means go for it. The taylor 800's are on par with any of the other good guitar makers good stuff, like Martin's OM-28 HD-28 D-28, D-35/45 etc. I personally think it's a good value, but look around you might find one used cheaper.

It's a fantastic "pro" guitar, you are buying excellent craftsmanship and some of the best tone wood you can buy. The only guitars that get better than that are more decorated. The 900's and Presentation series.

It's easy to fall in love with pretty much any taylor though. I'd play them all before I bought. you might like another model better.

http://www.taylorguitars.com

read up on the woods.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Paco and Mojo and all are right.
    When it all comes down to it though, if it is the one, go for it.
    I've played all kinds of guitars over the years, and there are no 2 the same. When I got my Taylor, I was looking through Martins and Seagulls and (Cough) Larravees, etc, and the 414 Taylor actually sounded better than the 700 800 series that were there. Even the two 414's sounded different and felt different. Basically, I think a guitar speaks to you. There are infinite possibilities as each piece of wood is different.
    Remember, too, that a well crafted guitar, when cared for and kept humidified will just keep sounding better as it ages, whereas a lot of cheaper ones get worse, as bracing starts to loosen, joints aren't as snug, etc.
    Like those guys said, try a couple others, but we all know,,,

you're gonna buy the Taylor:D:D
    Good luck with it!
    Be kind, man

Yeah, well...

I'm still getting the Larrivee, damn it.

I just love the feel... they're unparalleled in my book...
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Yeah, well...

apples and oranges, I love the sound of the Larrivee's too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    apples and oranges, I love the sound of the Larrivee's too.

I've always been more of a Martin guy, and Larrivee is the A+ luthier Martin. Taylors and Gibsons are comparable quality to Martin, but they are completely different guitars. Noble might be the luthier's Taylor...
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I've always been more of a Martin guy, and Larrivee is the A+ luthier Martin. Taylors and Gibsons are comparable quality to Martin, but they are completely different guitars. Noble might be the luthier's Taylor...

yeah, Martin will likely always be a benchmark in thier high end guitars.

I'm still in love with the OM 28. However my willingness to pay is not up to $2550 yet
  • After all Martin did "invent" the D size guitar. It can be argued that all others are just copies of the Martin design anway. Martin certainly has serious competition these days though. It all depends on which guitar you pick up on which one is best when you get to that point. Production built or not I think we all agree that things can vary a fair bit, even among a manufactures "identical" product.

When you get into that upper echelon of manufacturers things seem to level out a bit more and become more a matter of preference.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Yeah, well...

No worries, I'm not dissing Larrivee. It's just the one I saw at the time wasn't it. You have my approval!:D
    Be kind, man