I need amp advice...

Pearl-FighterPearl-Fighter Posts: 46
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, i need help in the choosing of a new amp. I have a Fender 65DSP and i hate it. In distortion the thing sounds like crap. The notes all mix together to create a crappy messy effect rather than a crisp sharp sound that i would like. You may have seen some other posts i've made about equipment questions, so as you can see i'm failry new at this stuff. I've been playing guitar a couple of years now but i've become frusturated with crappy equipment. I now pay more attention to sound quality and tone. I had a Godin SD for a while, which was fine for my first electric guitar but i began to hate the dam thing so much i sold it (for more than i payed for it) and bought a Fender Highway 1. I love this guitar, and i'll probably only every play fender guitars...its the amps i dont agree with. I believe i'll get either Marshall or a Vox amp. Any suggestions, and if so, is there a web site you can provide to do some research? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-@llan
Leave your girlfriend on a cement floor...
Toronto 09/19/05
Toronto 05/09/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    check out http://www.harmony-central.com

lots of info there on basically everything.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • here's the first answer to every problem,...how much ya wanna spend??? if you got some cash you wanna drop, you can get awesome voxs or marshalls or even a great fender amp,....not all of them are bad, most of them are really good,...especially if you want to upgrade to a tube amp (i recomend tube amps, i'll never go back to solid state if i can help it), but they are quite a bit more expensive,...if you are looking at more moderate spending, you can still find good solid state marshall amps, or even vox....the marshall avt is usually a pretty decent solid state series,....they have them all differnt wattages, depending on what you're looking for,...the 20 watt goes for $350 on musicians freind,...5o watt is $499-$529...100 watt is $699 and i don't think you'd need anything higher than 100 watt,....it also all depends on you,....go to a store and trying anything out before you buy,...no matter what,...you can also always go to musicisansfriend.com and check prices and etc....hope that helps
    Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it -Black Francis
  • thankyou, it does help.
    Leave your girlfriend on a cement floor...
    Toronto 09/19/05
    Toronto 05/09/06
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pearl-Fighter
    I love this guitar, and i'll probably only every play fender guitars...its the amps i dont agree with. I believe i'll get either Marshall or a Vox amp.

Wait just a minute, dude...

Very few of us here will stand up for solid-state amplifiers made by Fender (such as the 65DSP you have), but most of use own and use, or covet, Fender tube amps. I personally have two Fender tube combo amps and one Sovtek amp that is a shameless copy of a Fender Bassman. Tubes are the key ingredient here...

Also, I (for one) have never had much luck with "Distortion" channels on guitar amps. They never sound authentic. Either use a good pedal, or overdrive a good tube amp (like a Marshall or Mesa Boogie).

Based on the little you told us, I would recommend a Mesa Boogie. What kind of sound are you shooting for?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    From what I gather that you want from an amp I think you should check out a Mesa Boogie F-30. See if you can't find one used.

http://www.mesaboogie.com

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/F-Series/F-30/F-30.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I just bought a Traynor YCV40 for around $500 and it rocks. It's pretty loud and has a great clean and overdriven sound. Built solid too, so I'd recommend it on a budget.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Originally posted by LemonYellowSun
    I just bought a Traynor YCV40 for around $500 and it rocks. It's pretty loud and has a great clean and overdriven sound. Built solid too, so I'd recommend it on a budget.

The Traynor is a fantastic amp. May I also reccomend a Peavey classic 30. Look you don't need to spend the big bucks on a marshal or vox. Everyone already has that tone, go find something new.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/